Jestersix

Co2 scrubber overated?

newfly

Supporting Member
Bought a BRS co2 scrubber when it went on sale on the 4th July week. Installed it over the past weekend.

I assumed I have co2 issue thus the scrubber. Well, the results is pretty unimpressive. Maybe 0.1ph rise at most. Ph went from 7.9x to 8.0x

I read it’s more efficient when you have a close loop. Too lazy to try that especially it involved modifying the skimmer cup.

Maybe my skimmer is way too small ( tunze 9004dc) to make a different.

If I don’t have co2 issue , what could be causing low ph?

I am already dosing kalk at night. My daytime and nighttime ph is about the same.

First recalibrate probe. Once that's done, check alk.

If it's high, take a cup of tank water and check pH. Take it outside and bubble it using outside air for a coouple hours, and test again. If CO2 is an issue there should be a noticeable difference. That can help determine if equipment issue

I’ve done it. You only get a few 0.5 or so bump. It burns through a lot of media if you don’t use the recirculation mod. It wasn’t worth it in the long term. What really raised my ph is a big skimmer and opening the window

Bought a BRS co2 scrubber when it went on sale on the 4th July week. Installed it over the past weekend.

I assumed I have co2 issue thus the scrubber. Well, the results is pretty unimpressive. Maybe 0.1ph rise at most. Ph went from 7.9x to 8.0x

I read it’s more efficient when you have a close loop. Too lazy to try that especially it involved modifying the skimmer cup.

Maybe my skimmer is way too small ( tunze 9004dc) to make a different.

If I don’t have co2 issue , what could be causing low ph?

I am already dosing kalk at night. My daytime and nighttime ph is about the same.

For a 65 Gallon tank that tunze 9004 skimmer isn’t going to have much gas exchange occurring. You’re going to need a bigger skimmer to see much of a difference.

Pulling from a humid place, e.g., skimmer, will allow the media to last longer because 1) water is required for the reaction with the media and CO2 to occur and 2) the humidity allows CO2 to penetrate the media better.

I’ve done it. You only get a few 0.5 or so bump. It burns through a lot of media if you don’t use the recirculation mod. It wasn’t worth it in the long term. What really raised my ph is a big skimmer and opening the window

A 0.5 bump is a lot. pH is a logarithmic scale. “Worth it” is really in the eyes of the beholder. If acros can grow twice as fast, some may consider it worth it. Also, opening a window or running a line to outside isn’t always an option especially during colder months.

For a 65 Gallon tank that tunze 9004 skimmer isn’t going to have much gas exchange occurring.

Pulling from a humid place, e.g., skimmer, will allow the media to last longer because 1) water is required for the reaction with the media and CO2 to occur and 2) the humidity allows CO2 to penetrate the media better.

A 0.5 bump is a lot. pH is a logarithmic scale. “Worth it” is really in the eyes of the beholder. If acros can grow twice as fast, some may consider it worth it. Also, opening a window or running a line to outside isn’t always an option especially during colder months.
I have the intake line draw from my ato reservoir above the water line. I also added 1 teaspoon of water in the scrubber per the instructions.

I have the intake line draw from my ato reservoir above the water line. I also added 1 teaspoon of water in the scrubber per the instructions.

I promise you, your skimmer is sized too small for a 65 gallon tank to provide an effective amount of gas exchange.

I promise you, your skimmer is sized too small for a 65 gallon tank to provide an effective amount of gas exchange.
I can agree with that. I have an AIO with limited space for skimmer. That’s the largest capacity skimmer I could fit in the back chamber.

I have plenty of pump pointing to the surface.

I can agree with that. I have an AIO with limited space for skimmer. That’s the largest capacity skimmer I could fit in the back chamber.

I have plenty of pump pointing to the surface.

My comment was in respect to getting your CO2 media to be effective in your system. There’s no way that 9004 draws in enough air to make much of a dent to change pH in a 65 gallon tank if you have high CO2 in the surrounding air.

I'm having the same doubts with a co2 scrubber I installed 2 weeks ago. Very little change, maybe 0.1 difference going from 7.8 to 7.9. I'm still trying to figure out why I have chronically low pH on this system. I do need to try that sample water with a bubbler test. Other facts:
  • pH probe has been calibrated twice and double checked with a Hanna pH pen
  • Running it through a Octo Elite 220 skimmer on maximum pump speed (1,720 gph)
  • Recirculating air from the skimmer lid and also put water in the scrubber
  • I see some media turning purple so I assume that it's working
  • Been dosing 2 gallons of kalk daily with an Avast reactor
  • Source of acid: effluent from the calcium reactor and KH Guardian waste water
1000005806.jpg

I'm having the same doubts with a co2 scrubber I installed 2 weeks ago. Very little change, maybe 0.1 difference going from 7.8 to 7.9. I'm still trying to figure out why I have chronically low pH on this system. I do need to try that sample water with a bubbler test. Other facts:
View attachment 58657

Where does air that goes into the skimmer get pull from? The bottom or top of the CO2 reactor? And where does the air that gets sucked in from the skimmer to the CO2 reactor go in the CO2 reactor?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where does air that goes into the skimmer get pull from? The bottom or top of the CO2 reactor? And where does the air that gets sucked in from the skimmer to the CO2 reactor go in the CO2 reactor?
This might be the issue. The Octopus reactor pulls in the air from the bottom, pushes it through the media above, and releases from the top. It really does a great job keeping the PH between 8.2 (night) and around 8.3/8.4 during the day even with high carbon dosing. With the closed loop mod, the media lasts a little more than 4 weeks.

The skimmer pulls air from the top of the co2 scrubber
  1. Air is initially pulled from the skimmer lid
  2. Goes into the scrubber which has a tube that goes to the bottom of the reactor
  3. Air gets pulled up through the media
  4. Hose is connected to the top of the skimmer silencer
  5. The silencer is connected to a hose which runs down the red pipe then into the pump
1721109102494.png

View attachment 58657
Did you measure your CO2 in the room? I believe you have a well-insulated house. What is your alk? This skimmer deserves its official CO2 reactor though :). As you know, I love this setup. Any bacteria dosing, or high nutrients? Any recent ICP results?

I started phasing it out because the BOLUS method is meant to keep PH higher without CO2 scrubber or refugium, but put it back on since I did not have the patience to wait until it does it on its own, and it instantly pushed it up again.

@newfly -two questions I have

1) -which company/brand CO2 media are you using?
Right now I am using icecap -which eh- is ok.

But in the past I have used Jorvis-works better and goes further between adding in water every week. Expensive shipping is the issue although after talking with them -there are ways to ship it cheaper.

But that tablespoon of water per week can make the difference.

2nd question-are you actually see it change color? On the BRS one-it changes color from the bottom up. So week to week you should see it change

It can help indeed. I have not recirculated air yet but about to and see if it makes a difference

@newfly -two questions I have

1) -which company/brand CO2 media are you using?
Right now I am using icecap -which eh- is ok.

But in the past I have used Jorvis-works better and goes further between adding in water every week. Expensive shipping is the issue although after talking with them -there are ways to ship it cheaper.

But that tablespoon of water per week can make the difference.

2nd question-are you actually see it change color? On the BRS one-it changes color from the bottom up. So week to week you should see it change

It can help indeed. I have not recirculated air yet but about to and see if it makes a difference
BRS brand media. I only started 3 days ago, and looking at it just now, no change in color yet. I’ll remember to add a teaspoon of water a week. I added it during initial setup.

As a counterpoint to the above, I had low pH issues (7.9-8.1) on my 200 gallon DT and installed a BRS CO2 scrubber, and it's bumped my pH to 8.1-8.3. I have a fairly large skimmer though (Regal INT-150SSS) and I change the media once every 1-1.5 weeks though.

BRS brand media. I only started 3 days ago, and looking at it just now, no change in color yet. I’ll remember to add a teaspoon of water a week. I added it during initial setup.
Sometimes it takes a couple days after you refill water that it kicks in- can never figure it out why..

As a counterpoint to the above, I had low pH issues (7.9-8.1) on my 200 gallon DT and installed a BRS CO2 scrubber, and it's bumped my pH to 8.1-8.3. I have a fairly large skimmer though (Regal INT-150SSS) and I change the media once every 1-1.5 weeks though.
I find that it works for sure-just that so many things can obfuscate the effects of a CO2 scrubber..

Back