Kessil

Complete Bonus/Ultra Coral List - 2024 (REVISED AS OF 10/13/24)

There is a ton of variability in what people bring swap to swap. Adding and deleting items from the lists based on what we see people bringing should be based on trends of multiple swaps, not single swap data points. Like steering a large ship, not a race car.

For example, when I frag for a swap, even though I bring a lot, I generally just frag up a few things of the many I could pick. Like whatever I happen to feel like, or that I can easily reach today, or that needs a trim. When I do, I bring several frags of it. Maybe I didn’t bring any last swap and won’t next time for pretty random reasons. And I don’t know what other people will bring this time. I’m assuming other people are the same. So if I bring 6 frags of something I don’t usually bring, and so does even 1 other person out of all of us, then all of a sudden for that 1 swap it looks like we have too much of it. It gets de-listed, then next swap maybe we have 0 frags of it.

In general, I like having more items on the bonus lists and fewer on the ultra lists. Because when someone brings 3 nice bonus corals and gets 1 bonus ticket, it creates an overflow of nicer corals for everyone else. When someone brings 1 ultra coral and takes home 1 ultra coral, that’s fine and hopefully made a couple people happy, but doesn’t really multiply the effect for everyone else since it’s 1:1 instead of 1:3.

I brought several things that were previously bonus and aren’t anymore, just because I felt like it. I also brought a bunch of bonus and ultra stuff for basically the same reason. And I didn’t use all my bonus tickets anyway. I traded with someone an ultra for a non-listed coral because he said it was nice and it sounds good to me. So I’m not trying to angle for optimizing this or anything. I’m just saying that over the years I have seen really so much variability in what people bring and the process by which things are added or subtracted from the lists that I’d urge more of a long view than changing every swap based on what was brought that swap.

The two zoas I brought up, I think honestly just grow fast, not like pandoras. Yet much faster than others in my tank.

I'll be on the look out for different types to add to frag tank to get more types introduced to future swaps. Now that i will have a dedicated frag tank for the purpose.

I agree with @JVU in that we should not make the list hyperreactive from swap to swap. I think that the general market and overall coral rarity should take priority, with local availability, a consideration.
For example, there was an over abundance of White Zombie Zoas last swap due to them being on the list, and we had zero white zombies this time because they had dropped off the list completely.

The bonus/ultra rounds continue to be a work in progress, so we appreciate all the feedback.

I agree with @JVU in that we should not make the list hyperreactive from swap to swap. I think that the general market and overall coral rarity should take priority, with local availability, a consideration.
For example, there was an over abundance of White Zombie Zoas last swap due to them being on the list, and we had zero white zombies this time because they had dropped off the list completely.

The bonus/ultra rounds continue to be a work in progress, so we appreciate all the feedback.
There were a couple white zombie frags out there

i admit my choices of what to bring is heavily based on what's on the bonus/ultra list. also, i think Rhizotrochus typus should be removed as it isn't fragable, supposedly illegal, haven't seen one for sale in years and wonder if anybody actually still has one.. too bad since they're one of my top 10.

the wwc halle berry overabundance was a weird coincidence that i brought at least a dozen from @Calgoby to the freebie table.

@JVU @Invictus

Changes were made between the last swap and this one, and comments seemed to indicate that was typical.

I don’t disagree with what either of you are saying, I guess I just see the variability that the changes trigger as a good thing. I don’t really want to see the same corals every time - and changing up the bonus lists to sort of incentivize that is a positive. But that’s just how I see it - perhaps others want more consistency which is fine too. I will continue attending regardless!

@JVU @Invictus

Changes were made between the last swap and this one, and comments seemed to indicate that was typical.

I don’t disagree with what either of you are saying, I guess I just see the variability that the changes trigger as a good thing. I don’t really want to see the same corals every time - and changing up the bonus lists to sort of incentivize that is a positive. But that’s just how I see it - perhaps others want more consistency which is fine too. I will continue attending regardless!
I think last time’s list definitely needed some tweaks. We got much closer with the list this time. It’s a constant work in progress.

The biggest struggle, I think, is figuring out how to properly populate the list without going overboard and being overwhelming. If something isn’t on the list it’s much less likely to be brought.

For example: JF Fairy Fart Zoas. Missing from the list, not because they don’t belong there but because there are so many nice zoas in existence. I would love to see them brought to the swap, and I’d think they should be a Bonus, but it’s hard to have an exhaustive list and people are naturally less likely to bring them if they aren’t already on the list.

Last edited:
IMO having helped with check-in at the last 3 swaps and seeing what people have been bringing in, I think the zoa list could use some work. I think there are probably some Zoas on that list that very few (if any people) in the club have (or that I’ve ever seen at a swap), so they’re taking up real estate on the list when the likelihood they’ll show up at a swap is pretty low. Then there are Zoas like the Magicians and Halle Berrys, that have been showing up abundantly at multiple swaps.

If what people bring to swaps is in large part driven by what’s on the bonus and ultra lists, I think that these lists should be finalized after each swap (they don’t need to change drastically but I think should be skimmed for any necessary or apparent updates) and then remain unchanged at least until the next swap. This way, people can see what’s on the list and either go out, acquire and grow these out over a few months with the plan to frag and bring them to the swap, or frag and grow out what they may already have with the plan to bring them to the swap. This may also lead to people bringing more generous sized frags if they have more time to grow things out. If lists are being confirmed a week or two before the swap or changing leading up to the swap, it makes it difficult for people to do this.

@Invictus depending on how my fairy farts grow between now and the next swap, I’ll plan to bring some

Last edited:
IMO having helped with check-in at the last 3 swaps and seeing what people have been bringing in, I think the zoa list could use some work. I think there are probably some Zoas on that list that very few (if any people) in the club have, so they’re taking up real estate on the list when the likelihood they’ll show up at a swap is pretty low. Then there are Zoas like the Magicians and Halle Berrys, that have been showing up abundantly at multiple swaps.

If what people bring to swaps is in large part driven by what’s on the bonus and ultra lists, I think that these lists should be finalized after each swap (they don’t need to change drastically but I think should be skimmed for any necessary or apparent updates) and then remain unchanged at least until the next swap. This way, people can see what’s on the list and either go out, acquire and grow these out over a few months with the plan to frag and bring them to the swap, or frag and grow out what they may already have with the plan to bring them to the swap. This may also lead to people bringing more generous sized frags if they have more time to grow things out. If lists are being confirmed a week or two before the swap, it makes it difficult for people to do this.

@Invictus depending on how my fairy farts grow between now and the next swap, I’ll plan to bring some
I agree that it’d be nice to have a list ahead of time… but at the same time I understand its a lot of work to create. I want to bring bonus corals so if I know ahead of time, I can acquire them and grow them out to be able to frag them out. I’m sure a lot of people feel the same way. I think the quality of frags would increase if we knew ahead of time

It’s a constant work in progress.
Ah, so you agree we should make minor updates after each swap? :p ;)

I don't think we need to make huge changes after every swap, but I think making minor tweaks based on the inputs is a reasonable way to do it. I think this is better than make one big update every once in a while. It's all fresh in our minds, too.

I really agree with @psidriven @B the Nano Reefer - what's on the lists absolutely drives my decision making around what I bring. The vast majority of my frags were not on the list, of course - to @JVU point I am still happy to bring stuff that isn't worth a ticket. But I definitely curate my offerings to ensure I have a few tickets to spend. I think that's kind of the point of having a bonus process!

And it's exciting to see all of the new bonus/ultra corals on the tables each time - the more variety from swap to swap the better, IMO. I think the lists are generally in a pretty good place for LPS/SPS, sounds like most of the opportunity is with Zoas. Anyway, it's a great conversation, and I'm glad we have so many members and BODs invested in making the swaps awesome.

I don't think we need to make huge changes after every swap, but I think making minor tweaks based on the inputs is a reasonable way to do it. I think this is better than make one big update every once in a while. It's all fresh in our minds, too.

I really agree with @psidriven @B the Nano Reefer - what's on the lists absolutely drives my decision making around what I bring. The vast majority of my frags were not on the list, of course - to @JVU point I am still happy to bring stuff that isn't worth a ticket. But I definitely curate my offerings to ensure I have a few tickets to spend. I think that's kind of the point of having a bonus process!

And it's exciting to see all of the new bonus/ultra corals on the tables each time - the more variety from swap to swap the better, IMO. I think the lists are generally in a pretty good place for LPS/SPS, sounds like most of the opportunity is with Zoas. Anyway, it's a great conversation, and I'm glad we have so many members and BODs invested in making the swaps awesome.

Sounds like someone should join the board...

Sounds like someone should join the board...
1729539434263.png

IMO having helped with check-in at the last 3 swaps and seeing what people have been bringing in, I think the zoa list could use some work. I think there are probably some Zoas on that list that very few (if any people) in the club have (or that I’ve ever seen at a swap), so they’re taking up real estate on the list when the likelihood they’ll show up at a swap is pretty low. Then there are Zoas like the Magicians and Halle Berrys, that have been showing up abundantly at multiple swaps.

If what people bring to swaps is in large part driven by what’s on the bonus and ultra lists, I think that these lists should be finalized after each swap (they don’t need to change drastically but I think should be skimmed for any necessary or apparent updates) and then remain unchanged at least until the next swap. This way, people can see what’s on the list and either go out, acquire and grow these out over a few months with the plan to frag and bring them to the swap, or frag and grow out what they may already have with the plan to bring them to the swap. This may also lead to people bringing more generous sized frags if they have more time to grow things out. If lists are being confirmed a week or two before the swap or changing leading up to the swap, it makes it difficult for people to do this.

Taking the feedback into account, and attempting to add to the list in hopes they are more likely to be brought.
Let me know your thoughts. Everyone else feel free to comment. Josh will have the final say.

Proposed Bonus/Ultra Zoa Changes

Remove from Bonus/Ultra due to over abundance:
-Bozo’s Birthday
-CoralExotic Bounce Zoa
-Everlasting Gobstopper
-Magicians
-WWC Halle Berry

Remove from Bonus/Ultra due to relevance:
-ASD Hyper Jubilee
-KH Sunburst
-Rainbow Kazoo/Latin Lovers
-Rainbow Rhinos
-Space Monster
-Tyree Orange Rainbow
-White Velvets
-WWC Illuminati
-WWC Taser
WWC Ultimate Chaos

Add to Bonus:
Exosphere
JF Fairy Fart
Mind Tricks
Krak Gods
Nightmare
Solar Circus
Burning Ember
Marvin the Martian
Stratocaster
Grim Reaper
Butt Kisser
Pikachu
Utter Chaos
Golden Leopard
Wolverine
CB Bowser

Add to Ultra:
LSOH (1+ polyp)
Frankie’s Acid Trip
Big Bird with Kermit (1+ polyp)
Oscar the Grouch (1+ polyp)
Emperor V2

Last edited:
On a more serious note:

My tendency would be towards JVU's preferences—making slow changes to the list—once we have it in a good place for all the groups.

In the interest of full transparency: when we started up the swaps again post-COVID, and again after I took over as coordinator, the bonus/ultra lists needed quite a bit of overhaul since they had not been touched in quite some time. I solicited help where I could and tried to update them, with feedback in each swap. However, as I'm sure we're all aware—every reefer has different preferences for coral(s), which leads to a more focused knowledge on those specific corals (and lesser knowledge of others). Finally, and most intangibly, is the lack of knowledge of what people in the club actually have, which will influence the list (since it's quite hard to write a list that covers every single coral).

Being fully honest, part of why the LPS portion of the list is in a better place compared to the other sections is because that's the type of coral I know the most about. I have a general sense of the desirability and trends and pricing of euphyllia and gonis, and a more comprehensive knowledge of what I've seen around the club. This isn't to say I didn't try on SPS/zoas/softies—because we really did—but that my knowledge of these corals is comparatively limited, so there's very likely going to be more gaps.

@derek_SR was kind enough to shore up this collective knowledge by volunteering to overhaul the SPS list. @B the Nano Reefer this is in no way, shape, or form me attempting to 'voluntell' you, but if you're willing to provide me feedback in a PM on the zoa lists, it'd be much appreciated. Given you worked check-in, and zoas are admittedly not a coral I keep, I think that'd be valuable in helping improve the list we have available.

Going forward, once we have a good base, I think a slower approach is best as we fine-tune rather than overhaul the list after each swap (or couple of swaps). What would also be exceptionally helpful is to solicit feedback from other members about what they may be interested in bringing (even if it's well in advance of the swap) because that lets us target on corals that are relevant to the club rather than being unsure if it's even an option someone will bring it.

Could we change the ultra/bonus round to come in as number drawn at check-in? This will avoid the chaotic and provide some fairness (based on luck at check-in)
I suggested a similar approach of quickly giving everyone who has a bonus ticket a random number in the bonus round and have people line up like a Southwest boarding line. Then they go in every couple seconds. Just for the single-pick bonus/ultra rounds. With all the last minute stuff we had going this swap we didn’t get around to implementing it. But I still think we should.

Back