Neptune Aquatics

Coral Rescue for Dan-Sf: come get frags!

May I use this photo on our IG page. Anyone know what coral this is?

"As committed members of the reefing community, we cherish the legacy passed down to us. Sharing experiences and knowledge among local reefers isn't just a commitment; it's a heartfelt connection that brings us together, ensuring the survival of any livestock! Big thanks to local member Dan for sharing this with the club and to Kenny for hosting @under_water_ninja”
BC Adam Bomb

@Darkxerox Nice to meet you al yesterday. Thanks fo your help picking out corals, the tuxedo urchin and sea cucumber. It was cool to see you all helping out a reefer. Decided to become a member!
Welcome Mohan! Great meeting you, your girlfriend, and your dog the other day! You've got a good start with the tank, hopefully you get to start a tank journal here when you have some time: https://www.bareefers.org/forum/forums/tank-journals/

We'll have some cool events coming up this year too2, also feel free to ask anything about your tank or anything about your reefing journey.

i'd gotten a frag of all of these 2-3 years ago from reefcentral! lost everything in an aefw infestation unfortunately though

My tank had dinos, aiptasia, hair algae, etc, but I'm 100% confident there were no fish pathogens or coral pests, I had very strict QT protocols for everything and had not added any new livestock in years (for example I once threw away like 10 great frags because I detected some black bugs on them in the QT process and no way I was going to chance the rest of my system with that).

Of course, at this point all the corals have been moved into other systems so I don't have any control over it anymore.

When we were removing all the corals and I was really investigating the tank, I'm pretty sure the reason most of the corals died was because my two giant tunze powerheads broke at some undetermined date and massively decreased the flow in the tank, and I think that was enough for the hair algae to start suffocating the corals.

Last edited:
I strive for my system to be like his. Some background information on his corals and system. He QT’ed everything for months before entering his dt. Dt is 375 gallons approximately. He had 2 maybe 3 rocks in his aquarium. I think we pulled about 9 colonies out. Each one was 24”x24”. His digi that was dead was 48”x48”. His rock only came half way up his aquarium but some of his corals were at or almost at water level. In my 23 years of reefing. I’ve never seen anything like this. It was truly amazing. His aquarium started with all 1” frags. That’s only 6 years of growth. Amazing .
All his corals are OG corals so they have be aquacultured for decades. This is just chatting with him.
Oh he did zero water changes in two years. Zero dosing except calcium reactor. It was on autopilot for 6 months before we got there. When we were removing all his coral. His aquarium didn’t even stink.

Last edited:
I strive for my system to be like his. Some background information on his corals and system. He QT’ed everything for months before entering his dt. Dt is 375 gallons approximately. He had 2 maybe 3 rocks in his aquarium. I think we pulled about 9 colonies out. Each one was 24”x24”. His digi that was dead was 48”x48”. His rock only came half way up his aquarium but some of his corals were at or almost at water level. In my 23 years of reefing. I’ve never seen anything like this. It was truly amazing. His aquarium started with all 1” frags. That’s only 6 years of growth. Amazing .
All his corals are OG corals so they have be aquacultured for decades. This is just chatting with him.
Oh he did zero water changes in two years. Zero dosing except calcium reactor. It was on autopilot for 6 months before we got there.
It was on auto-pilot for more than a year, but I did have an alkalinity tester running every 8 hours, and it was very easy to detect when anything serious happened that required attention (CO2 ran out, carx ran out of media, etc). Although even in the situations where the CO2 tank ran out, I'd just turn off the halides until I got new CO2 going, and the tank would be fine for 2-3 days in this state. I did not do any water changes but I did put cup fulls of salt into the sump every now and again.

The most annoying thing actually was the "new" neptune apex power bars kept breaking at inopportune times (I think I went through 3 of them), and I'd have to go there and replace it with the older neptune apex power strips that were much more reliable. Fortunately I did have redudencies for the critical life support systems (2 return pumps on different circuits, heaters on different circuits, lights on different circuits), but I only had one calcium reactor and if any part of that went down then I'd have to go over and fix it.

All in all, it was very frustrating to deal with the tank remotely for so long, and I don't recommend it, but it was interesting how little active maintenance you could do and still have thriving SPS corals.

Welcome Mohan! Great meeting you, your girlfriend, and your dog the other day! You've got a good start with the tank, hopefully you get to start a tank journal here when you have some time: https://www.bareefers.org/forum/forums/tank-journals/

We'll have some cool events coming up this year too2, also feel free to ask anything about your tank or anything about your reefing journey.
I'll def start a tank journal and I look forward to more events! Thank you for being so welcoming and sharing your wisdom.

@Dan-sf - Thank you for sharing your corals with us. I went to Kenny's "High Tide Aquatics" in Oakland today. Great store with soooo many corals. I ended up purchasing a purple torch with white tips and a rainbow goni.
Out of Dan-sf's collection Kenny hooked me up with a BC Adam Bomb and a Cali Cali Stag.
I had a nice time chatting with Kenny, if there was beer I could have stayed for hours.... Very comfortable atmosphere to ask questions and look around.
Once again, thank you Dan-sf for your generosity and thank you Kenny for providing the means of distribution.
Don't forget, If you go pick up some corals from Dan-sf's collection, make sure you purchase something at High Tide.

I will post pictures soon.

@Dan-sf - Thank you for sharing your corals with us. I went to Kenny's "High Tide Aquatics" in Oakland today. Great store with soooo many corals. I ended up purchasing a purple torch with white tips and a rainbow goni.
Out of Dan-sf's collection Kenny hooked me up with a BC Adam Bomb and a Cali Cali Stag.
I had a nice time chatting with Kenny, if there was beer I could have stayed for hours.... Very comfortable atmosphere to ask questions and look around.
Once again, thank you Dan-sf for your generosity and thank you Kenny for providing the means of distribution.
Don't forget, If you go pick up some corals from Dan-sf's collection, make sure you purchase something at High Tide.

I will post pictures soon.
Kenny hosts a cocktails and coral event regularly and we have one coming up! And yes there’s beer

@Hella_Salty650 The BC Adam Bomb pic is in this thread. Looks browned out in the pic but got this from the BC website.

IMG_0550_1024x1024.jpg

IMG_0556_1024x1024.jpg

Back