Kessil

Cost of RODI

How much do you think it would cost to make your own? And what’s it cost to drive there and back? And what’s it worth to you time wise to make that trip? And carry all the water?
I have a 150GPD system right now with 2 membranes.

It'd take me maybe 10 minutes round trip to buy the water...I'd be carrying it from the garage to the backyard vs from the shed, so carry distance is about the same. It's just less time spent worrying about overflowing water and needing to be available an hour or so after I start it to switch out the containers or shut off the water

I have a 150GPD system right now with 2 membranes.

It'd take me maybe 10 minutes round trip to buy the water...I'd be carrying it from the garage to the backyard vs from the shed, so carry distance is about the same. It's just less time spent worrying about overflowing water and needing to be available an hour or so after I start it to switch out the containers or shut off the water

Easy solution is get a decent size and shape storage container or two with a Float valve. To each their own.

Please show your math!

So went back to my math... looks like I forgot to multiply by the units in my original math (hey -- i did this at 3A so will take the excuse... lol) . But, ignoring the media and initial unit cost (sunk cost), my cost per gallon is roughly $0.044 / gallon, accounting for up to 3 gallons of grey water per 1 gallon RODI. Now I don't feel so bad (except wondering why I have used so much water in the last few months since I installed my rodi unit)!

As far as time period is concerned in the math, it's irrelevant as it's just $/total gallons consumed, which normalizes time span.

Reactions: JVU
Why would any regular person want to buy DI? As far as I know are no advantages for drinking water or cooking, only for specific applications like laboratory or reef tanks. There are some theoretical disadvantages to drinking it.

So went back to my math... looks like I forgot to multiply by the units in my original math (hey -- i did this at 3A so will take the excuse... lol) . But, ignoring the media and initial unit cost (sunk cost), my cost per gallon is roughly $0.044 / gallon, accounting for up to 3 gallons of grey water per 1 gallon RODI. Now I don't feel so bad (except wondering why I have used so much water in the last few months since I installed my rodi unit)!

As far as time period is concerned in the math, it's irrelevant as it's just $/total gallons consumed, which normalizes time span.

And if you double up on membranes it will cut it in half. I use three membranes and have a 1:1 ratio. Has the additional benefit of getting more product water out of the prefilters useful lifespan as well.

Yeah I thought it was not for drinking.

It’s not. It’s actually bad for you. Water has essential minerals in it that we need.

My RO system for tap water in my house has an “artisan” filter that adds back magnesium and calcium to the water.

I have a 3 stage tds meter on it. In is around 180ppm out of the membrane is around 2-4ppm and out of the artisan filter is around 30ppm.

And if you double up on membranes it will cut it in half. I use three membranes and have a 1:1 ratio. Has the additional benefit of getting more product water out of the prefilters useful lifespan as well.
Gonna have to try that for sure... would love a 1:1

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Picture...so it did happen! :)
1ef0f6aa8ecb7027d3c1381d1e0cb776.jpg

It’s not. It’s actually bad for you. Water has essential minerals in it that we need.

My RO system for tap water in my house has an “artisan” filter that adds back magnesium and calcium to the water.

I have a 3 stage tds meter on it. In is around 180ppm out of the membrane is around 2-4ppm and out of the artisan filter is around 30ppm.
I used to think it was bad too but not anymore. It’s definitely debatable but all the minerals that you can get in water are found way more abundantly in food. Plus, if you are drinking “pure” (0 TDS) water all you are getting is water which is harmless. Taste is the only reason I choose to drink RO water vs DI water.

I’ve been told that Starbucks uses DI water for their coffee. Those of you with nano or Pico tanks should just grab a trenta size water for water change days. ;)

Picture...so it did happen! :)
1ef0f6aa8ecb7027d3c1381d1e0cb776.jpg

Holly smoke...drinking RODI will literally give our tongue blisters and will mess us the GI system...how is that happening.
I cannot tell what is the write up in the picture and why would they offer the DI

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Commercial DI water isn’t overtly harmful to drink, there is some serious misinformation happening here.

It’s just that there’s no good reason to be selling it to the general public. But then again it’s Whole Foods, so I guess there doesn’t have to be a good reason, just a reason.

Back