Jestersix

Cost of RODI

Well, it's the same as distilled in a sense...but cheaper to produce.

So not for drinking but certainly lots of uses for cleaning, ironing, etc.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Commercial DI water isn’t overtly harmful to drink, there is some serious misinformation happening here.

It’s just that there’s no good reason to be selling it to the general public. But then again it’s Whole Foods, so I guess there doesn’t have to be a good reason, just a reason.
Hmm. Maybe this is diffrent than the RODI am referring to.
But I thought the reason why drinking RODI is harmful is because it the water is so pure once it touch the tongue chemicals and minerals will leach to it.. the tongue will hurt because there is a diffrence in the concentration of ion in the cell and the water so the di water rush in to the cell and burst it.

Something to that extent:))

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

All my reading when I was looking into RO at my house for drinking water was that DI was VERY bad for you.

Even RO water is stripped of too many minerals. The PH becomes to low and can make your body less alkaline.

Ok. The main difference between DI water vs regular water is that DI takes out all the ions, like Ca, Mg, etc. Distilling water also does, especially when it is distilled several times, like they usually advertise. Some very high performance RO filters also do.

We need those minerals, so it’s nice that we get some in our water. In the US with modern water supplies the amount of these mineral ions is low, so drinking water is not a significant source of them compared with food intake. Therefore losing them in the water isn’t a significant loss of them overall.

Water with these mineral ions is called hard water, and when they are removed its called softened water. People have been intentionally drinking and using softened water for many years safely.

DI and softened water can leach the minerals out of some metal pipes (like copper and lead) in minuscule quantities, which can cause potentially problems. But we aren’t talking about buying water from Whole Foods and then running it through old metal pipes, and we don’t run our RODI water through metal pipes either, so a non-issue here.

Our skin and GI tract is perfectly fine in contact with pure water with no ions. It doesn’t cause damage in normal situations. The amount of soluble and nonsoluble stuff in your saliva, mucus, digestive juices, etc is enough to very quickly make the pure water less hypotonic anyway. You could probably come up with some extreme scenario that would be a problem, like soaking in running pure water for hours or days where the osmotic gradient would cause some problems. Or drinking many gallons all at once like in fraternity hazing, which throws your osmotic balance off and can be very dangerous. But even these extreme scenarios are nearly as dangerous with normal tap water vs DI water anyway.

The issue of DI or pure water being acidic and therefore dangerous is just wrong. Pure water has essentially no buffering capacity with the ions removed. It inherently has a neutral pH of 7.0 (this is the definition of neutral pH). However, the moment CO2 from the air touches and dissolves into the water it makes it acidic, and since there is almost no buffering capacity it swings to an acidic pH quickly. If you were instead to add a tiny amount of a base, it would swing to a basic pH. The point is since it has no buffering capacity, it takes on the pH of whatever it touches or gets dissolved into it, so it isn’t dangerous at all.

The main reason I’m aware of not to drink our hobby-grade DI water is that the resin isn’t made to drinking standards (unlike drinking-water grade softeners and presumably the resin used in the WF machine) so it could potentially leach out small amounts of unwanted chemicals from the resin. This is probably more theoretical than real, but it’s a reason.

The main reason people don’t actually drink commercial DI water is that it tastes funny to most people. We are used to water with mineral ions in it, so pure water tastes flat or a little off. So just preference really.

"At least one study found ingestion of deionized water directly damaged the intestinal mucosae. Other studies did not observe this effect."

I think it's not worth the risk lol

I’m still skeptical. The article was written by a PhD, but the source cited is...

HEALTH RISKS FROM DRINKING DEMINERALISED WATER
Frantisek Kozisek
National Institute of Public Health Czech Republic

John rebutted almost every one of the article’s points.

I’m still skeptical. The article was written by a PhD, but the source cited is...

HEALTH RISKS FROM DRINKING DEMINERALISED WATER
Frantisek Kozisek
National Institute of Public Health Czech Republic

John rebutted almost every one of the article’s points.
Lol sure,

Interesting video, but it is BS that a glass of DI water caused his next day symptoms.
Btw the guy is PhD in chemical engineering. He is doing s great job trying to educate..I doubt he is faking stuff.
Also what he used is lab grade pure water. Which is way more pure than the di we produce using our home grade filters. He explains it well..

And if you double up on membranes it will cut it in half. I use three membranes and have a 1:1 ratio. Has the additional benefit of getting more product water out of the prefilters useful lifespan as well.
I assume you're using a booster pump as well? Is your restrictor then on your last membrane?

I've considered adding additional membrane but have read on RC\R2R that doing so may produce lower quality water and comes at the expense of membrane life, and that the recommended way to reduce waste water is to play with capillary restrictor options.

I watched my tank get much better after upgrading my RODI system from a 5 stage to an 8 stage.

I’ll just never trust anyone’s water but my own. Too much money invested to risk it with the core of the tank.
OK -- you just convinced me to upgrade my 4-stage system to a 7 stage. I already get 0 TDS coming out (runs about 150 ppm in) but to your point, too much invested in my tanks so why not... :) . It helped that BRS had their 15% off black friday deal so I can rationalize removing my current DI canister (same style as the RO housing) and replacing it with the triple DI version from BRS to simply connections. Too bad, my RODI setup is outdoors otherwise I would add a booster pump and push higher GPD and less waste water.

I assume you're using a booster pump as well? Is your restrictor then on your last membrane?

I've considered adding additional membrane but have read on RC\R2R that doing so may produce lower quality water and comes at the expense of membrane life, and that the recommended way to reduce waste water is to play with capillary restrictor options.
Yes I use a booster. Need it for even one membrane. I get 38 psi without.
Flow restrictor after last membrane.
I get good results, or At least My tds meter says so anyway. Membranes last years and I make a lot of water.
I don’t know what capillary restrictors are.
What psi do you get now without a booster?

I've considered adding additional membrane but have read on RC\R2R that doing so may produce lower quality water and comes at the expense of membrane life
Well technically it's not untrue. I mean you have a membrane and lets just say it has a 4:1 rejection ratio. Then every 5 gallons of water going through membrane, gets 1 clean water and 4 of water that now has 20% more "stuff" in it. When the second membrane you push the waste water through it, so now you're dealing with waste water that has 20% more "stuff" in it than the first membrane. So assuming you do everything else the same, i.e. either flush membranes or don't you do the same to both, then the life of first will be a bit longer, but it probably isn't a huge enough difference to really be that noticeable. Unless you have extremely dirty water from the get go, i.e. rural farm well water or something.

And yes the TDS of the second will be higher simply because it's a higher amount going in. Assume a 97% rejection rate, and 100 TDS going in, with 1 membrane you get 1 gallon of 3 TDS water for every 5 going in. For 2 you get 2 gallons for every 5, and the TDS just gets blended together, 3 TDS from the first membranes gallon, and 4.8 from the second, or an average of 3.9 TDS, or about 30% more TDS on average, but this is of an already small number (comparatively speaking), and does use your TDS faster by 30% too but in the grand scheme of things it's usually a worth wild trade off. Plus the reality is those values do tend to get skewed because you use a booster pump which pushes more water through, leaving with better results because the filters can be closer to spec (which is done at unrealistically high temperature and pressure for regular water service to a house).

Yes I use a booster. Need it for even one membrane. I get 38 psi without.
Flow restrictor after last membrane.
I get good results, or At least My tds meter says so anyway. Membranes last years and I make a lot of water.
I don’t know what capillary restrictors are.
What psi do you get now without a booster?
Capillary flow restrictors are inserted into the actual 1/4" line at the waste side of the RO housing.... so literally the water coming out is pushed through a small needle tube. Works super well.

As fsr as actual pressure, i am not sure (gauge on its way though)...City of Mountain View runs an average of 45 psi, but connecting to my garden spigot directly yields 3:1 approximately without booster on a 75 gpd RO membrane, so I suspect that the actual line pressure is much higher.

I don’t understand why you’d want one type of flow restrictor over the other. Either should work. Mine has a built in flush valve tho so that’s cool.

Back