Jestersix

Cracked/Splitting Impeller

iCon

Supporting Member
Can a cracked/splitting impeller release stray voltage into a tank? If so, would it be enough to harm corals?

Electricity is foreign to me so any help from the gurus would be appreciated :) TIA

The impeller itself? No. It's simply a piece of plastic/epoxy coated magnet with some sort of shaft and a plastic wheel at the end.

What makes you think you have stray voltage? Feeling a tingle when you put your hand in the tank? Or just corals not looking good? The fact the water is a very ionic substance means you're going to pick up some stray voltage levels even with 100% perfectly good equipment, just the nature of the game. However there is a limit to how much should be in the tank.

So if you have a tingle when you put your arm in the tank, that's something else that's going through your body to ground. Usually if I have a hangnail or similar cut near my fingers I'm quite sensitive to this. Heaters are the first thing I check though in these instances, then pumps.

Thanks Mike - Tank full of struggling corals. Many established colonies bleaching, receding and locally releasing mesenteries - ie, not stinging other corals. SPS were hit the hardest, LPS seem to be stabilizing. Crummy pic below - Occurring across all types of corals. Z/Pand fish are fine. Water parameters are in check.

Have a feeling I bleached the whole tank due to not acclimating the lights properly. I've always associated bleaching with just the loss of color so the recession and mesenteries across all types of corals threw me off.

photo.JPG

Yeah, lots of potentially issues that could cause that. Water quality, lights, chemical parameters out of whack. I would put stray voltage probably somewhere between "Corals dying of old age" and "Someone put a voodoo curse on you" as far as potential causes though.

I mean if you do have some open electricity getting into the tank and you know this then I would definitely address that issue.

And if your impeller is cracked, might want to replace the pump/impeller just because you can.

Yup, new impeller is on the way. I'll chalk it up to the lights...That was the obvious one unfortunately =\

Back