Jestersix

Deep water acros

Am looking for some deep water acros to fill in some of the lower section of the aquascape that will have lower PAR.
Anyone have some experince to share? Will appreciate the advice here
1- would deep water coral require lower flow as well?
2- what sps do you recommend?
@RandyC Am intersted in your thoughts if you have a min..
Thanks all.

I don't think anyone really knows what "deep water" is, I just remember when those very thin branched with relatively long coralite that are quite smooth started popping into the hobby everyone called the "deep water", but whether or not these are truly deep water or if that is some generic name given to corals for this hobby I couldn't tell you.

I don't think anyone really knows what "deep water" is, I just remember when those very thin branched with relatively long coralite that are quite smooth started popping into the hobby everyone called the "deep water", but whether or not these are truly deep water or if that is some generic name given to corals for this hobby I couldn't tell you.
My understanding is that some of the deep water characteristics is they have smooth skin and usually no polyps.. they are in the lower side of the reef so they need less PAR and benifit from UV spectrum. How accurate this is I have no idea lol..
The one I knew ut was deep water was the glass slipper from BC.
The pic is I believe one more deep water I do not know its name. But I remember I had to move it to almost shaded area to look like this..
Hopefully the more people chime in the more we learn.

Attachments

• 20200225_153009.jpg
    20200225_153009.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 163
They are typically smooth skinned. From what I’ve read they usually need lower flow, but it needs to be constant/consistent. As they’re deep water, anything above the bluer spectrum won’t penetrate the deep waters much. I’ve also read that deep waters are typically more nutrient rich and it’s likely that they’d do better under cooler temperatures and not 78F what we typically run our tanks at. Any or all the above could be why I don’t keep deep water acros because they all eventually die on me. I’ve only killed 5-6 red dragons. ;)

They are typically smooth skinned. From what I’ve read they usually need lower flow, but it needs to be constant/consistent. As they’re deep water, anything above the bluer spectrum won’t penetrate the deep waters much. I’ve also read that deep waters are typically more nutrient rich and it’s likely that they’d do better under cooler temperatures and not 78F what we typically run our tanks at. Any or all the above could be why I don’t keep deep water acros because they all eventually die on me. I’ve only killed 5-6 red dragons. ;)
I do keep my system at 74 degree. Red dragons do so well with me. I grow small frag yo baseball size in 2 years in my old system and with this system I got small frag from my old red dragon it's now quite big. I gave a DBTC frag to @NanoCrazed . If you want I can give you one try again. This red dragon is resilient lol.

Ok I thought you keep deep water..thanks for sharing your thoughts thu..i do enjoy your threads and pictures great deal...kudos.

So, are all smooth-skinned acros “deep-water”? Is there a reason (environmental, other) for the different morphology?

Here is a deep water piece that I used to have in my old system. Never seen something like it again. I remember adam from battle coral went nuts when he saw it.
Look how smooth the skin is and the neon blue color variants..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200225-201359_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200225-201359_Gmail.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 174
Back