Neptune Aquatics

DeFarts' IM 50gal Lagoon Journey

Your aquarium is kinda young and small for a fish like that. You’re gonna have to keep adding pods. Keep an eye on his belly. If it starts to get pinched. Then he’s not getting enough food to eat. They eat a lot of pods.
The one I got from Kenny eats mysis. Start them on Rod's tentacle teasers (fish roe) and turn off flow, then mix in mysis, they'll start going for it.

That’s technically a spotted mandarin as opposed to a green. Sorry to be that guy…

I have the same one, though, also from Kenny! Good luck with yours, he’s a cutie ☺️
Haaa haaa. Oops...I meant to put that I got myself a Spotted Mandarin. I got my wife the "normal" Green. This spotted is in this tank!

Also, don't worry about being "that guy" with me dude. I honestly would prefer to be corrected than to go on aimlessly in my ignorance. But on this one, I did know the difference! Haaa haaa.

Your aquarium is kinda young and small for a fish like that. You’re gonna have to keep adding pods.
That was plan.
Keep an eye on his belly. If it starts to get pinched. Then he’s not getting enough food to eat. They eat a lot of pods.
Thankfully, this guy has been eating lots of different items that Kenny offers him. Also, I have been culturing pods and phyto for the past month! So I've got a decent supply of them. I've already dosed a bottle of tig and tisbe pods since yesterday into the tank. Prior to the dinos outbreak, I had such a large population of pods. But I did have a population crash. So I was worried about that. Kenny helped ease my anxiety by feeding them and watching them. I actually didn't ask to see, he just did it.

Part of my logic for deciding to get one of these, is to encourage me to feed the tank with pods more often, which will also force me to feed with phyto more often for the pods too.

Haaa haaa. Oops...I meant to put that I got myself a Spotted Mandarin. I got my wife the "normal" Green. This spotted is in this tank!

Also, don't worry about being "that guy" with me dude. I honestly would prefer to be corrected than to go on aimlessly in my ignorance. But on this one, I did know the difference! Haaa haaa.

That was plan.

Thankfully, this guy has been eating lots of different items that Kenny offers him. Also, I have been culturing pods and phyto for the past month! So I've got a decent supply of them. I've already dosed a bottle of tig and tisbe pods since yesterday into the tank. Prior to the dinos outbreak, I had such a large population of pods. But I did have a population crash. So I was worried about that. Kenny helped ease my anxiety by feeding them and watching them. I actually didn't ask to see, he just did it.

Part of my logic for deciding to get one of these, is to encourage me to feed the tank with pods more often, which will also force me to feed with phyto more often for the pods too.
Might think about a small fuge in the back if you have room.

The one I got from Kenny eats mysis. Start them on Rod's tentacle teasers (fish roe) and turn off flow, then mix in mysis, they'll start going for it.
This morning, I defrosted some fish roe and mysis in phyto, along with the benepets powder for various corals. I also dosed a bottle of tig pods. When I say my "Feed Corals" command, all my pumps turn off for 40 minutes. I was able to get a couple videos of him swimming around and picking off what are assuming pods and saw him eating a couple small pieces of food! I'm not too worried about this one going hungry. Kenny has had him for over 2 months at this point.

O
That’s if you grow macro algae. You can just have a place where pods and microbes don’t have a predator
Oh. I thought a refugium meant growing the macro algae too. In my back chambers I have multiple pieces of coarse foam. With the intent of it serving the same purpose as a "pod hotel" that I've seen a lot of folks selling. I also have a couple bags of media that is very porous to serve as a sanctuary. Plus I wanted some mature media at the ready, should I ever need it for another tank. That should accomplish what you are talking about right?

@SepToob Here's my wife's dragonette
This beauty is her nem tank, which is a tank I was setting up to be a QT. She commandeered that tank so damn fast after she figured out she really likes nems. Sometimes...we just can't win...
1000008632.jpg

Pretty stoked. I won this via an IG giveaway!
1000009039.jpg

I'd like to get some advice on how I should approach this. Should I do a WC and dose my weekly trace elements, wait a day or two and then take the sample? Should I sample now since I haven't done a water change for a couple weeks which is on purpose for elevated nutrients? Prior to this, I had been doing a weekly 10-20% WC.

Also, my new RODI system just arrived a couple days ago and is not yet installed. Moving forward, the quality of the finished RODI will be significantly better. But for an accurate analysis of the current state of the tank, I should get a sample from my current setup, correct?

ICP have great value to me and I am currently doing them monthly. But there is a time when ICP seem to be less useful, which is when you are making several changes which had not time to take effect.

The two times when they are useful IMO is a) when you have a problem and would like to understand more, or b) when you have everything dialed in and all looks loog and you would like to know how your water looks when everything is doing well to have a baseline, or to confirm that what you are doing is on the right track.

Fauna Marin suggests to take the sample before the WC. Regarding the RO, depends on what you want to know more, but since the RO water could be linked to your ICP results, taking it both from the same setup seems to make sense to me. However, as in my first sentence, maybe now is not the time to take a sample, and if later, you might want to take it from your new RO.

However, as in my first sentence, maybe now is not the time to take a sample, and if later, you might want to take it from your new RO.
Yes. That's where my logic seems to be as well. Recently, with all the dinos issues, I figured it would be good to see what's going on. Buy I'm still dialing in my dosing and overall parameters. So being patient and waiting until I think things are good, then do get the samples. By then, the new ro system and a few water changes will have been implemented. That would be most useful, in the long term view for the tank.

Geez...been a minute since the last update!

pH 7.8 :(
Alk 6 :(
Nitrate 50 :/
Phosphate 0.3 :/
Calcium 440
Mag 1275

1000009994.jpg

Tank is humming along ok*ish. My little dragonette from Kenny is doing awesome. Constantly hunting and thankfully, enjoys many of the different foods I introduce to the tank. So he's a chunky and healthy little guy!
20240512_192551 (1).jpg

20240512_193335.jpg
20240512_193627.jpg

The ebb and flow of the nutrient and element uptake has been a little challenging. For example, my alkalinity at the moment is considerably lower than it has ever been. So as the coral grow, they absorb more, and I'm not quite catching it at the right time to make adjustments. Currently only dosing kalk.

For the most part, most of the coral I have are doing good and are hardy. I have a few that haven't done as well and died. Then there are outliers like this Walt Disney that is doing pretty good.
20240522_113402.jpg

20240522_113444.jpg

Here's one of the BC Adam Bomb that is doing ok too.
20240522_112731.jpg

My wife surprised me with this ECC Death Wish Hammer at the CFM. Picked it up from Edgar at Prime Reefing. He is opening a shop in Watsonville soon. Next couple of weeks. Excited to have something close by!
20240522_113201.jpg

One of my favorite Micromussas in my collection. ASD Bullseye
20240512_192958.jpg

I got this one at the last frag swap at CK. I cannot remember the name of this one.
@Cbruno80 ??? I got it in one of your mystery bags.
20240512_193145.jpg

The dinos try to make a comeback off and on. Nutrients are elevated at the moment actually, and they still make their appearance. Thankfully, it has been controllable and nothing like it was before when the nutrients bottomed out.

I've only done a couple water changes in the past couple months. They've been roughly 25% each time. I'm not liking the nutrients as high as they are now, but even the "finicky" pieces seem to be doing ok. I'm tempted to get back to doing a weekly water change but keep it small.

I've been testing regularly and building up a database to do some trending. The past month, I just haven't had the bandwidth to monitor the tank as closely. Unfortunately, I would have caught my declining alk swing much sooner.

I'm kind of over that and ready to switch to an app or something to enter and trend.

Anyone have recommendations for a great android app?

Aquarimate is what I have been using for close to two years now.

Interesting comment on the dinos, how do they come and go?

The Alk / CA parameters would make it difficult to increase Kalkwasser dosing at this point.

Always love your photos and your tank looks great.

Aquarimate is what I have been using for close to two years now.
I believe I remember you mentioning that app in the recent past. I looked it up, and it seems like they hadn't updated it in a while. If I have to pay for it, which I don't mind, I'd like to see a recent update. I haven't checked it in a couple months though, I must admit.
Interesting comment on the dinos, how do they come and go?
Nowhere near like before when my nutrients bottomed out. I believe they wait for the slightest imbalance and try to make a come back. They will pop up at first with just a little bit of slime and bubble accumulation in certain spots. Nothing too concerning. Then some suctioning out and increased feeding, and they seem to go away.

Most recently, even wwithin creased nutrient levels, they are still hanging around a little bit longer and proliferating. I did bump my lighting schedule and intensity back up last week, and that may have been all they needed. I tuned it back down yesterday and going all blues again.

Plus started a round of Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter7, Clean, and Razor. Already today, there's a huge difference.
The Alk / CA parameters would make it difficult to increase Kalkwasser dosing at this point.
Agreed. I have relied on CoralLife SuperBuffer in the past. I gave it a dose yesterday and that already helped a lot! Also, my kalk dosage does not currently equal my evaporation rate. I have to determine if I want to sacrifice my ATO pump and start filling my ato reservoir with kalk. My other limitation is the kalk reservoir I'm using is small as I've heard that you don't want to make too much, since it loses its efficacy. So I'm a little mentally challenged there in trying to make up my mind which way to go.

Always love your photos and your tank looks great.
Thank you! I've got a bunch of other pics I've taken over the past few months I haven't shared.
I forget to post them here. Life has been difficult recently and I find myself staring into my tank much more rather than be online.

Tank is humming along nicely right now. The dinos were trying to make a comeback a couple times again, even with my elevated nutrients which I found odd.

I've been doing daily doses of Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter 7 and Clean. I did 7 days of their Razor too. I finished that last week. Within a few days of using all three, I was seeing a huge improvement in the clarity and reduction in the dinos. One of the other tools I've been using is a weekly application of the AquaForest Life Source. Next up is going to be stirring up detritus pockets and vacuuming it out into a filter sock. I still feel I need to complete a WC though to bring my nutrients down significantly. Phosphates are 0.55 right now and climbing. They were 0.25-0.35 for the past couple weeks. A few days ago, I may have fed a little too much powdered coral food though. I was trying Coral Frenzy for the first time and I accidentally dumped too much into my mixing container. Anyway...

A few pics I took tonight. It's been a rough and long work week! But I really wanted to update this thread with a few of my favorites.

Walt Disney gifted to me by @RelishReef
He also gifted me with two frags for last week's frag swap so I could have an ultra entry for me and my wife @a.little.hypertonic
Thanks again amigo! This is such an amazingly beautiful coral.
20240607_204951.jpg

20240607_210038.jpg

BC Adam Bomb hasn't been as happy the past couple weeks with the resurgence of the dinos and elevated nutrients. Even with "dirty" water, it still has some decent color. The polyps are definitely not as extended as I've seen it in the past. It's growing slowly, but it's not dead! So I'll accept that win.
20240607_205616.jpg

Might as well showoff the awesome trade I got from @ApartmentReefer !
Thanks again for the Homewrecker. I'm stoked that it's getting comfy and opening up.
20240607_205805.jpg

At the CaliKid frag swap a while back, I picked up this "Bud's Toxic Birdsnest" that @Reservetank put it. This is a frag from the piece he brought that I stupidly broke. Thankfully, it was in a good spot. It's such a simple yet beautifully bright coral. And hardy!
20240607_205751.jpg

I am a sucker for Favias! This one is the
TSA Texas Tornado
20240607_210119.jpg

Unknown favia colony
20240607_210144.jpg

My wife's little Goni collection I've been curating.
20240607_210254.jpg

One of my favorite mushrooms! Waiting for this to transition fully before spilling the beans...
20240607_210216.jpg

I love being able to have a top down view without having to stand on a ladder. The height of the stand and tank is perfect!

There's my mini colony of Toxic Birdsnest and to left of it is my TSA Mayhem Leptastrea. It is such a beautiful coral! It has been such a joy to keep. The polyps have great movement and it literally sparkles. Very difficult to get detailed pics. I'm looking forward to seeing it spread. I was able to make a few frags of it when I was removing the plug stem. So I'll be putting those onto larger plugs soon and hopefully have some to share with the club. Plus it will be easier to get pics.
20240607_210057.jpg

Fantastic pictures as always. I have not been using Microbacter products anymore since Jim/telegraham got them tested through Aquabiomics, and seems like there was very little in them. But I do use Life Source, Biodigest instead. Still, seems like the Microbacter products work for you, or it is the Life Source, who knows.

Jim/telegraham got them tested through Aquabiomics, and seems like there was very little in them
Oh! I'll have to go check that out. Was it random products from different locations? Or single source testing? I'd definitely be interested to see them tested after production and bottling. You bring up a great point though.

That adam bomb is like wow, some of the best coloration i've seen so far, I notice yours has mostly shed the geeen.
I actually really like the green mixed with it. I hope it keeps some of it. But it does appear to mature out into the maroon and pinks as it settles in. I've been struggling with the dinos off and on, nutrients, and a big alk drop swing in the recent path. I'm hopeful that they got through it ok and won't randomly regress to being unhappy. Lol

It's a little scary to think that you don't see changes with sps sometimes for weeks after events or changes.
This hobby has been helping my inability to be patient...

Tank is humming along nicely right now. The dinos were trying to make a comeback a couple times again, even with my elevated nutrients which I found odd.

I've been doing daily doses of Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter 7 and Clean. I did 7 days of their Razor too. I finished that last week. Within a few days of using all three, I was seeing a huge improvement in the clarity and reduction in the dinos. One of the other tools I've been using is a weekly application of the AquaForest Life Source. Next up is going to be stirring up detritus pockets and vacuuming it out into a filter sock. I still feel I need to complete a WC though to bring my nutrients down significantly. Phosphates are 0.55 right now and climbing. They were 0.25-0.35 for the past couple weeks. A few days ago, I may have fed a little too much powdered coral food though. I was trying Coral Frenzy for the first time and I accidentally dumped too much into my mixing container. Anyway...

A few pics I took tonight. It's been a rough and long work week! But I really wanted to update this thread with a few of my favorites.

Walt Disney gifted to me by @RelishReef
He also gifted me with two frags for last week's frag swap so I could have an ultra entry for me and my wife @a.little.hypertonic
Thanks again amigo! This is such an amazingly beautiful coral.
View attachment 57143
View attachment 57145

BC Adam Bomb hasn't been as happy the past couple weeks with the resurgence of the dinos and elevated nutrients. Even with "dirty" water, it still has some decent color. The polyps are definitely not as extended as I've seen it in the past. It's growing slowly, but it's not dead! So I'll accept that win.
View attachment 57153

Might as well showoff the awesome trade I got from @ApartmentReefer !
Thanks again for the Homewrecker. I'm stoked that it's getting comfy and opening up.
View attachment 57146

At the CaliKid frag swap a while back, I picked up this "Bud's Toxic Birdsnest" that @Reservetank put it. This is a frag from the piece he brought that I stupidly broke. Thankfully, it was in a good spot. It's such a simple yet beautifully bright coral. And hardy! View attachment 57144

I am a sucker for Favias! This one is the
TSA Texas Tornado
View attachment 57148
Unknown favia colony
View attachment 57150
My wife's little Goni collection I've been curating.
View attachment 57151
One of my favorite mushrooms! Waiting for this to transition fully before spilling the beans...
View attachment 57152
I love being able to have a top down view without having to stand on a ladder. The height of the stand and tank is perfect!

There's my mini colony of Toxic Birdsnest and to left of it is my TSA Mayhem Leptastrea. It is such a beautiful coral! It has been such a joy to keep. The polyps have great movement and it literally sparkles. Very difficult to get detailed pics. I'm looking forward to seeing it spread. I was able to make a few frags of it when I was removing the plug stem. So I'll be putting those onto larger plugs soon and hopefully have some to share with the club. Plus it will be easier to get pics.
View attachment 57149
Awesome to see you are enjoying the toxic birds nest - an incredibly simple but really cool looking coral IMHO. I’m curious what you are using for your photo setup? Quite wonderful macro shots I must say.

Awesome to see you are enjoying the toxic birds nest - an incredibly simple but really cool looking coral IMHO.
I completely agree. Another simple and bright green coral, but it's fluffy polyps make it that much cooler. So I'm with you there. Oh, and I also picked up a WWC Duke Nukem shroom from you at that swap. What a beautiful mushroom! Thanks again!
I’m curious what you are using for your photo setup? Quite wonderful macro shots I must say.
For the closer macro shots, I'm using the OceanBox Designs filters and 120mm macro lens with my phone. I STILL haven't quite pulled out the nicer camera and lenses for capturing my corals.

Back