Neptune Aquatics

Disaster Strikes

So the family and I just moved to a larger house about 3 blocks away. We have been moving in all of this week, and today was the day for me to move the tank. So after many hours of tear down and moving, I started setting up the new tank. Had it all filled and running and the fish and the first of the corals put back in. Started to clean up the equipment and wash it down when all of a sudden I hear a loud pop and the sound of rushing water. I get back into the house and see that the corner of the tank has cracked from the top to the bottom and water shooting out every where. After another hour or 2 of swiping up fish and corals and cleaning of the floor, I am left with no tank and a garbage can full of
water and fish. This is the 2nd tank I have had break on my in the last 2 years. And so with this I think it is time for me to take a break for awhile. Money is tight and with this 2nd major failure I just don't have the heart to rebuild it at this time. I will still be around but with be tankless for the foreseeable future. I will be posting up all of my equipment for sale in another post.

Sorry to hear that about your tank. Can I ask if it was glass or acrylic? was it leveled properly? Sucks it had to happen in your new house too.

It was glass and was level. This tank has rounded front corners and both breaks were in the same location. I think it is just a weak point in the tank.

wow, bummer indeed. Sorry Brian :( I can understand why you would want to get out. WHEN you decide to get back in, give a holler!

Yikes that sucks Brian. Any of the live stock survive? Might want to sell off that first, or sell to a store (for pennies on the dollar most likely though)

When you said rounded corners, do you man like the Jebo tanks that mimic acrylic rounded corners a la 1 piece of glass that is molded or were the corners of the tank beveled?

Gresh, They had the round corners that mimiced an acrylic tank.
But after the anitial shock, dismay, the wife went and bought me a tank. Shw said that she wanted one still and that I would be kicking my self in the butt 6months from now if I quit.
Mike, all the fish survived They are in a 44g garbage can right now. How ever I lost a lot of coral. I was planning on giving them to my LFS, but I might have a new tank now.
It is just going to be a lot of work

Those bent corners are all Chinese built aquariums (which is why I asked). Steer clear of them, but you found that out the really hard way.

Congrats on the new tank :) I'm sure we can get your tank restocked with corals in no time...

Well bravo for the wife!

Glad to hear the fish survive, sorry about the corals, but hey you're a member of BAR where we can't give LE corals away... so you should be up to speed no problem with corals.

And do like Gresham said stay away from that rounded glass corner, that's just asking for trouble.

Trust me after tank break #2 there is no way I would ever get a tank like that again. This one was a free replacement from my LFS after the first one broke.

Kudos to you and the Mrs for your commitment and bond you have forged with one another and for the other passion/s you share in your lives. 0:)

I don't think One can ask for a better turn of events- all considering.

Did the Rose Bubbles make it through? :love:

Reef Keeper said:
Kudos to you and the Mrs for your commitment and bond you have forged with one another and for the other passion/s you share in your lives. 0:)

I don't think One can ask for a better turn of events- all considering.

Did the Rose Bubbles make it through? :love:
SO far. but we will see. I am hoping it makes it through this.

Back