Our mission

DIY Roller

richiev

Supporting Member
Based on a set of 3d printer files online, with some modifications too simplify printing (and gain a couple style points), I put together this 3d printed fleece roller. It has auto advance based on the water level in the fleece area rising (dirty) and also a secondary sensor to prevent that from triggering if they water level rises outside the roller (eg the return pump being off).

The one @grizfyrfyter is putting together looks like it might be easier to manage and prettier, but I'm hoping this one works out. The electronics are stupid simple.

I'm waiting on my floss to arrive. Once it does I'll clean up the wiring, close of the motor, add the floss, and install this on the frag tank. After it works for awhile I'll throw one on my display. Probably $40-$50 all in ignoring electricity for the print, the 12v power supply I'm reusing, and of course my time.

phc567

Supporting Member
I have the original roller mat. While automation is cool. And the eye/float needs to be adjustable. A manual version is the way to go. Keep cost low. Simple. People can just roll it every other day or so. I believe there’s a market for that. It would need to be clear so people can see the water line.
Awesome tho.

grizfyrfyter

Supporting Member
If you drop those files into Fusion 360 and aligned them, you can get the measurements you need to customize it to fit in your sump and fit your needs.

I'm pretty happy with how the manual roller on the biocube works but I do have to advance it about every 12 hours. If it gets super clogged, the biocube already has an emergency drain (into the middle compartment) but I will likely have to take it offline when I leave for work trips.

phc567

Supporting Member
If you drop those files into Fusion 360 and aligned them, you can get the measurements you need to customize it to fit in your sump and fit your needs.

I'm pretty happy with how the manual roller on the biocube works but I do have to advance it about every 12 hours. If it gets super clogged, the biocube already has an emergency drain (into the middle compartment) but I will likely have to take it offline when I leave for work trips.
How about drilling an emergency drain hole higher in the roller ?

richiev

Supporting Member
To be clear, I'm 100% not looking to sell these. The design was primarily based on someone else's on thingiverse. Once I get it working I'd be willing to help others put one together if they wanted though.

I also wouldn't be willing to use a roller if I had to manually do it. I know there's a 0% chance I'd stay on top of that, and I'd rather buy bulk coolant paper if I had to trade $ for maintenance.