Cali Kid Corals

Does fishing in the SF pier require a permit?

Im thinking about going fishing there one day with my friends. Cant really find out if we need a permit there to fish or not.
Does anyone know if we need one? And if we do where do we get one?

If you fish from a pier you don't need a license as long as it's a public pier. Those between the baseball field and the tourist trap are not considered public piers I believe.

How would we know if the pier is public or private? I was just thinking of going to one of those long man made peninsulas and just fish from there. Would that be private or public?

from CA Department Fish and Game

Is a fishing license required while fishing from a public fishing pier in ocean waters?

A: No, but it must be a public fishing pier. A Sturgeon Fishing Report Card is required to take sturgeon from a public pier in ocean waters. A Spiny Lobster Report Card is required to take spiny lobster from a public pier in ocean waters.

(a) A sport fishing license is not required to take fish for any purpose other than profit by means of angling from a public pier in the ocean waters of the state. (b) For purposes of this section, ocean waters include, but are not limited to, the open waters adjacent to the ocean and any island; the waters of any open or enclosed bay contiguous to the ocean; the San Francisco and San Pablo Bays, with any tidal bay belonging thereto; and any slough or estuary, if found between the Golden Gate Bridge and the Benicia-Martinez Bridge (Fish and Game Code Section 7153).

A public pier is defined in the sport fishing regulations as a publicly owned man-made structure that has the following characteristics: is connected, above the mean high tide, to the main coastline or to the land mass of a named and charted natural island; has unrestricted free access for the general public; and has been built or currently functions for the primary purpose of allowing angling access to ocean waters (California Code of Regulations, Title 14, Section 1.88)

Additionally, publicly owned jetties or breakwaters that are connected to land, as described above, that have free unrestricted access for the general public and whose purpose it is to form the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor are public piers. Jetties, breakwaters, promenades, sea walls, moles, docks, linings, barriers and other structures that are not the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor, are not public piers.

Even though licenses and stamps are not required while fishing from a public pier, all other regulations apply (including minimum size, bag limits, seasons and report card requirements).

just check the pier as some have 1 or 2 pole limit per fisherman. and they might have restrictions on casting. ( Over head or under hand ? )

A quick google brought this up.

http://www.pierfishing.com/resources/?id=california_fishing_piers

Not sure if this is the complete list, but does list some

Also if you have small children or pregnant women who you hope to feed from your catch check this out... the SF bay isn't exactly the cleanest place out there
http://oehha.ca.gov/fish/nor_cal/2011SFbay.html

sfsuphysics said:
If you fish from a pier you don't need a license as long as it's a public pier. Those between the baseball field and the tourist trap are not considered public piers I believe.

There are 2 or 3 public piers scattered in there.

Yea... it was a abominable brown trout on my line. It was also years ago when the over fishing didn't make a dent on the fish like it has now.

Back