got ethical husbandry?

DVR Troubles

patchin

Supporting Member
Came home from work and our Direct TV Tivo was dead. Fan worked, but nothing else. Our second box worked, so it has nothing to do with the service. I assume there's nothing I can do to ressurect it.
If not this could get expensive! Neither our tv nor Tivo were HD. Nor our dish. Should I buy the Tivo at a store or go through Direct TV. I think it would be cheaper to go through DTV, especially when they would have to come out with a HD dish anyway.
Any suggestions?

Are you sure that's "your" DVR? Did you have to sign any agreement where you had to stay a customer for 24 months or what not, because technically you're leasing the equipment, call direcTV they'll most likely replace it, after all it's an all in on unit where you have your DTV access card to descramble the signal and it also happens to be a DVR.

So yeah call directv :D

We bought the unit at Circuit City years ago. So we pay $5 for the service, but we own the broken piece of *****.

Ahhh, you actually bought the DVR through circuit city. Well if you like the DTV service I'd still give them a call (or better yet email since you can sound like disgruntled customer a little easier), you tell them about your issue, hell don't even mention that you bought it unless they ask specifically, they most likely will give you one for free, but just make you sign a 24 month commitment or something to directv. If not simply send off an email stating that Dish Network has some deal, etc etc, and they'll bend over backwards to keep you as a customer.

I did that with them, I bought my old dish and everything for $200 when DTV was new, decided I wanted HDTV, but the promotion they had apparently only applied to "new customers". I looked at DishNetwork, which did give a free HD-DVR on top of things, mentioned that in an email to DTV, and they offered me the promotional package, plus a HD-DVR where they waived the extra fee, and installed a new dish. So like I said, they want customers, and they want to keep you as a customer, if you make a mention of switching to DishNetwork, or possibly getting cable as an alternative they'll usually give you the VIP treatment (often more than they do new customers to lure them in)

I have had the same thing happen to me . When I started to explain that comcast was far more cost effective then them they told me , "oh it looks like you qualify for an upgradde well take care of everything for you". they replaced my DVR for free, shipping all paid . Sometimes they stick it to you but last time it worked out well for me . Little do they know that the closest comcast wires to my house are two miles away.

I think the recommit thing for me was simply due to the HD-DVR upgrade costing another $200 on top of "the free stuff", but honestly it's no big deal, I like DirecTV, it's WAY cheaper than cable for me, and it's one less wire that's hooked to my house :D

Resurrected a very annoying dvr with a new power supply then turned around and added a new hd after everything went back to normal.

TivoCommunity is one place to go to find info on repairing said DVR

Weak Knees awesome place to deal with once you figure out what the issue is. PM me for more info.

Back