Kessil

Equipment suggestions.

Hey guys. Looking to build a bigger tank soon. But know nothing about pumps/ skimmers.

Tanks going to be a 90 gallon. And I heard pumps should be 10-20x water volume. Anybody have some recommendations for skimmers / pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loved my Vectra M1 when I had my larger tank and now that the COR is out would be a solid option if looking to monitor your GPH

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

The advantage of the DC controllable pumps is that; plain and simple, you can increase/decrease flow as you want.
As far as skimmers, there’s a wide range to chose from; I’d suggest looking into the future for parts, in case a pump goes bad or you break something (or throw it into the recycling bin). It’s easier to find a Sicce pump than a Red Dragon and more important (in my case) at a decent price.

I have three Vectras running (2x M1 and 1x S1) in my house. Great pumps so far for me. The only minor issue I had was with the S1, for some reason the tightening nut for 3/4” pipe was a little off and had to be placed just perfectly to tighten on the threading otherwise it would pop off.

I use Jebao DCP return pumps... I tested one one my shroom tank and liked it enough I bought 2 more, one for each of my new builds.

If you go this route, get the DCP versions not the earlier ones

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Btw equipment aside, don't forget to drill a small hole in your return nozzle to prevent back siphon in power out situations.

When I set up my initial full, I cut power a few times to sanity check water level, etc to make sure power outages don't wind up also being floods

I use Jebao DCP return pumps... I tested one one my shroom tank and liked it enough I bought 2 more, one for each of my new builds.

If you go this route, get the DCP versions not the earlier ones

Interesting. I would not of thought if that idea! Thanks.

I think this question also depends on what sort of livestock you have in the tank, and how quickly you’ll be able to react to failures.

For instance if you have a lot of expensive sps, and other high end (ie expensive) corals in the tank, then a return pump failure can be a bigger deal. Also if you could potentially be away from the tank for longer periods of time and not be able to swap out a failed pump quickly, that might also be a consideration.

I have had an M1 fail on me after 1 year. I have also had a used L1 develop a clicking/rattling sound that forced me to decomm it. I am currently back to an M1 but my next pump will probably be a red dragon, or if I have a new build, a dual return pump.

When I started my new build, which is basically the same size as what you're planning, I had the same question. I consider running a Jebao/Jecod for a bit, but then decided against it since the main return pump isn't something that I want to question in regards to reliability. I then ran the tank on a M1 for a bit until the Neptune pump came out (COR-20). Once it did, I switched over to it and got rid of the M1.

I'm running without a backup pump at the moment, but Neptune has pretty amazing customer service at this point, so I have no doubt that I can find a replacement for it if this one was to ever fail. It also helps if your LFS also keeps a stock of the needed pump on hand in the event of an emergency. Both Neptune Aquatics as well as AC keep a steady stock of Ecotech/Neptune pumps in stock.

In regards to skimmer, I'm still using my Vertex Omega 150, as I did in my previous 47G tank. It performs extremely well, especially since I fed extremely heavy and have the bioload. With 6 fish in the tank and the AFS dispensing food 8x a day, it still needs to be tuned to pull out darker skimmate. One thing to consider is overall filtration that you intend to use. I plan on running my chaeto reactor and if the 150 underperforms slightly, that's not a bad thing since that'll be uptake by the macroalgae or be made available to the bacteria in the marinepure brick. I was pretty aggressive with nutrient export in my previous 47G tank and the chaeto never grew and eventually melted over time.

Pumps:
Dual return pumps is key for reliability. All of the new power efficient pumps seem prone to failing.
And once you have two, you can be cheap without fear.
So two mid size Jabao DCP or other cheap ones. That is what I use. And I have a spare.

Skimmer:
Reef Octopus has good price/performance.
Opinion: A quality one that is slightly undersized is best for reef type tanks with fuges.
Do you care about noise?

Thank you guys for the detailed responses. I’ll look into these brands after work.

Another question. How much flow is suggested? I read some where that 10-20x gallons would be good.

Also not to worried about noise. As it will be in a spare bedroom.

20X would be overkill. 5X-10X is fine
Flow in the DT is from power heads. Sump is just for filtration.
Could be even less, but depends on dosing rates, temp fluctuations, and a few other things.

My general suggestion : 10X as per rating at 0 head pressure.
So a 100G system = 1000GPH pump.
But once you take into account losses in head pressure, etc, that will be more like 6X or so.

Btw, another thing to consider is plumbing. I am a fan of installing a Herbie or beam animal style overflow for redundant / emergency draining... if you got room, that's the way to go

What’s your budget?
+1 on the M1 recommendation, I have it on my 75g and I leave it at 40%, extremely quiet and reliable.

Back