got ethical husbandry?

Eric's Frag tank!!!

So I've used Triton labs icp in the past. I've heard a few ads for icp analysis and they were having a sale so I decided to give them a try. Just based on the calcium and the magnesium levels on the test I'm going to say the whole thing is garbage. (Calcium on trident and salifert are 480 and mag on trident and salifert are 1450)

Screenshot_20220907-152228_ICP Analysis Water Test.jpg

So I've used Triton labs icp in the past. I've heard a few ads for icp analysis and they were having a sale so I decided to give them a try. Just based on the calcium and the magnesium levels on the test I'm going to say the whole thing is garbage. (Calcium on trident and salifert are 480 and mag on trident and salifert are 1450)

View attachment 41652
Whoa. Mine definitely looked within reasonable range. This looks way off. I'll have to send out another sample one time and might send out to a reputable test facility at the same exact time to compare results.

View attachment 41652
This isn't the only post I've seen regarding the accuracy of their testing after I bought 4 on sale. I haven't used any yet but it doesn't give me much confidence I'll get what I paid for.

100% the operator makes a huge difference. I know at work we can always tell when someone new is being trained because results can be all over the place. Something as simple as forgetting to use a pipette without a metal ejector can throw off your results from the micro metal shavings.

I was pretty happy with the results from the reef labs kit I got from High Tide and @under_water_ninja. Every macro nutrient that I could measure were pretty close to the assay results.
They supposedly upgraded the machine to one that more accurate since I last used them and got bonkers results. Guess they didn’t upgrade the operator.

Post in thread 'Making Lemonade - Mike's Lagoon'
https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/making-lemonade-mikes-lagoon.25558/post-384816

View attachment 41652
Maybe a dumb question but
Wouldn't that high of chlorine be most of a concern even if the test is way off or the fact chlorine did show up ? Once water sits and is oxygenated for a while it does dissipate fairly quickly..Was the test from fresh mixed saltwater or existing tank water?
Just wondering
Thanks
Paul

Wouldn't that high of chlorine be most of a concern even if the test is way off or the fact chlorine did show up ? Once water sits and is oxygenated for a while it does dissipate fairly quickly..Was the test from fresh mixed saltwater or existing tank water?
Just wondering
Thanks
Paul
I think it may also depend on what the chlorine kit is testing for. I'm unsure if it's testing free chlorine, or chlorine bound up in chemical compounds (such as chloramines); if it's the latter, chloramines don't evaporate from water.

Just wondering
Thanks
Paul
This was taken directly from my frag tank.

If you had similar readings with your Salifert kits from your display tank (to sanity check your kit) then just email ICP analysis, they might send you a free test kit if they find their calibration was off
I've emailed them. Just waiting to hear back.

The part that I'm really confused about is the chlorine. If 10ppm in a pool is considered dangerous to swim in than how does my tank have 29k pmm.

Over on Humble fish username OZ_SPS sent a bunch of samples for ICP testing to 2 labs I believe fairly recent.. He posted his results not long ago on that forum. I was unable to find where he posted them curious if chlorine and levels showed up in the results..I've seen other test results but chlorine was not listed.. wonder if possible the sample got contaminated and or calibration issue or user error performing the test...He was also testing NSW which would also be interesting not sure if that sample was from our local known supplier or self collected
Thanks
Paul

I mean if it's measuring chloride ion (which it likely is) it should be about 18-20k ppm, sodium around 10k ppm. Do you use a lot of 2 part solution on the tank? I know that can build up NaCl over time in the tank with that if you aren't going full balling method.

The part that I'm really confused about is the chlorine. If 10ppm in a pool is considered dangerous to swim in than how does my tank have 29k pmm.

I'd just test again or a 3rd before digging to deep.. hard to way in on just 1 test result with so many factors.. tanks not that old everything looks happy in ur tank ! Which is most important...

In the last month I've lost five torches. About one per week. They look amazing the night before and then I check my tank before work and they are covered in brown jelly. This morning it was my NY Knicks torch. I need to do something. So I'm starting an in tank treatment of cipro.

I didn't have enough time to set up a qt tank for my knicks so I put it in a container and floated it in my sump. This is what it looked like after work today.
20220912_183839.jpg

This is what it looked like yesterday...
Screenshot_20220912_211450.jpg

I've been slowing weening my system off of two part and onto a carx. So far I'm at 90ml a day of each part down from 175ml a day. Alk levels are holding steady.

Back