Jestersix

Eunicid discovered in my tank

Well, I was watching my tank last night and I saw something flash from a crack in my LR. Got a flashlight out and shined it into the recesses of the rock and caught a glimpse of 5 antennae. I spent the next hour observing the creature with a red lens on my flashlight, actually saw its posterior end sticking out of another crack in the LR. It is definitely a Eunicid, and fast as lightning when I shine a regular light on it.

At this point it is really small, and I would estimate its size to be around 2 inches long. The rock that it is in has a large cali tort (large for my 28g tank) attached to it so removal of the rock (for now) is out of the question. I'm thinking I'll leave it for now, but with the awareness that it exists. What do you all think?

I would reccommend taking care of it ASAP. I had one munching on my Rhodactis and Ricordeas for about a year, until I upgraded to a new tank. It was living under the very bottom piece of rock.

- Bryan

Hmm...Yeah, I sure wouldn't want it to start munching my coral! It's going to be a major trick though with a large piece of coral being stuck to that rock. Rats!

I believe SPSs can stand being out of the water for a bit. May not like it, but it should live.

Or, you could but the whole thing in a bucket with water, get the nasty critter out, then put everything back.

Good luck!

Most corals can be out of water...how else would they have gotten from the ocean to here :) low tide acro pictures anyone (cue Thalse Tonga pictures)

GreshamH said:
Most corals can be out of water...how else would they have gotten from the ocean to here :) low tide acro pictures anyone (cue Thalse Tonga pictures)

SHABAM!!!

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Change_is_good/Change_Is_Good!.htm

Thanks All!

I wasn't so much worried about taking it out of it's liquid environment as breaking the cali tort the process. That said, when I get a chance, I'll give it a go and take pics for posting later. Hope for the best!

Love those pics of the coral at low tide! Amazing and informative about the real environment that some of our coral specimens live in!

Tony, thanks for posting that article, not just for the picture. I have not seen that article before...I was so glad to have read it. Thanks. :)

Back