Neptune Aquatics

First Reefing adventure.. 65G AIO

newfly

Supporting Member
I'm barely getting started. I'm planning on documenting the journey here, and hopefully tap into the collective wisdom of the community. This is my first reef tank. Had a pair of breeding clowns for >15 years. I tried unsuccessfully to safe the eggs but that's another adventure.

Due to delay in shipping, my new tank (Waterbox 65.4 AIO) should arrived on Monday 1/16. Here is what i have plan so far:

Equipment:

Tank: Waterbox 65.4 AIO
Return Pump: Varios 2
Flow pump: 2x NERO3 + Sicce Nano (if needed)
Lights: 2x Reefi UNO (still waiting for shipment)
Skimmer Tunze 9004 DC
Heater 2x 150W Fluval M heater 1x 300W Aqueon Pro
ATO Tunze 3155
Controller Hydros 2 with additional water level sensor
Top/Cover RedSed DIY mesh top
Aquasape 25lb macro shelf, 15lb foundation, 10lb nano shelf (completed fishless cycle in a tub - soaking since early Dec)
Sand None. Going bare-bottom

Setup:

Failsafe:

ATO: 3155 comes with 2 sensor, optical and a float switch. Plan to use Hydros optical sensor as the final fail safe. In case the ATO sensors fails ON, hopefully the third and last optical sensor will shut off the pump.
Heater: Similarly, Hydors will serve as the failsafe for the 2x 150W heater. The heater have build in thermostat. Hydros is for in-case the heater decided to cook the tank. Buying a separate (additional) ATO sensor, and heater controller is another option. But i like less equipment (less wires).

Water Change:

Going to run RO line from the kitchen (shared RO filter) to the tank. will add DI for the tank line. RO will be connected to water mixing bucket (10G brute) and ATO container (likely another 10G brute, but i am not going to fill-up to the top. Second brute will come handy to mix large amount of saltwater when needed. One limitation of my setup i'm limited to 48x20 footprint of the tank. This means, i have to store everything under the cabinet. This is the agreement with the wife. I would love to get a bigger tank, but got worried about the weight and foundation support. My home is >60yrs old, and still have settling movement (very minor) resulting in hairline crack on the drywall.

The tank is also back to interior wall and on the other side of the wall is the laundry room. I'll run a drain line from the laundry room to the tank.

Water change should be effortless. I can pump (or even just gravity siphon) water from the tank to drain and pump fresh water from the brute under the cabinet back to the tank.

Battery backup:
Haven't put too much thought into this. It will be a research project for later.

Qt:

I have to admit. I have not ever Qt any fish ever. For this new setup (also my biggest tank) i'm going to start off the right way. Bought a Fluval EVO 13.5 tank for Qt. Stock setup.

Livestock:

2x 1.5-2" chromis + 2" neon dottyback in my existing 15g tank.
5 4x 1" chromis in QT since 1/9
2x 1" clown in QT since 1/9
2 Azure Damsel

Next batch plan for Qt:
Kole tang
(maybe) Flame angel or ??

Purple Tang (sorry Tang police)

I understand the risk of Flame Angle. So this still TBD. A lot of members gave good feedback on alternative and the risk of the angel in reef tank I would like 1 more brightly color fish. The neon is behaving really well so far ~6month, and i am very well aware things can change in a moment. Combability with Neon maybe a challenge.

Coral:

No idea yet. I don't really care for fancy names or rare corals. As a newbie, i would be happy to have a tank with bright, colorful corals. There is a few corals i don't care for such as duncan, and xenia. Zoa.. I loves the color, but i have 2 concerns: 1. palytoxin - i know a lot of ppl have zoas and never have issue. I know can be a klutz and rather not risk it. 2. with barebottom, the risk of zoa spreading uncontrollable. Same for GSP.

I do like acan, torch and monti to name a few.

The plan is to get the tank to mature maybe 4-5months before adding corals. One thing being older, is i have patient. its a journey and I'm planning to enjoy every bit of it.

I'll post pictures once i receive my tank.

Last edited:
looks like a good plan so far especially being the"patient" part. a lot of things in this hobby doesnt happen over night. keep in mind, always ask questions if you need any help and looking forward in your build as well.

Welcome and hats off to your new tank! My tank is a slight 1.5 years ahead of yours -- other members' tanks too and at various stages. My point: you've got a good group here if you get stuck or have questions. Following along. Good luck!

Tank arrived yesterday. The cabinet is slightly damaged, just cosmetic in a area that is not too visible. I'm deciding if its worth to swap out.

Leveling the tank is a pain especially on a very old 60yrs old floor. There is a 0.4" drop across the length 48" of the tank. Did the best i can. Is this "Good" enough?
the bubble is in within the line, but its not perfect. the level is 24" long.

On a different note, i lost a fish in QT today. :( i took the cover off to dome some maintenance, and only realized a chromis jump out when i stepped on it. Poor fish. On the other hand, the picky clown is eating more now.

Attachments

• IMG_1289.jpg
    IMG_1289.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1290.jpg
    IMG_1290.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1292.jpg
    IMG_1292.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 236
I find this interesting. In the old days, i thought you want to ensure the edge of the tank is fully supported. Maybe rimless tank changes the rule. As you can see in the picture below, the front 1" or so of the tank is not being supported by the stand. It must be by design, since the leveling foam (attached to the bottom of the tank) ended there. The part that have the foam sit nicely on top of the cabinet. Also, the tank will be flushed with the cabinet once i install the door.

This is my first rimless tank as you can tell.

Attachments

• IMG_1294.jpg
    IMG_1294.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 242
I find this interesting. In the old days, i thought you want to ensure the edge of the tank is fully supported. Maybe rimless tank changes the rule. As you can see in the picture below, the front 1" or so of the tank is not being supported by the stand. It must be by design, since the leveling foam (attached to the bottom of the tank) ended there. The part that have the foam sit nicely on top of the cabinet. Also, the tank will be flushed with the cabinet once i install the door.

Suspecting what has changed since the old days are advancements in adhesives allowing glass to be supported like that. Very cool indeed.

Made some progress this weekend.

Run RO line to the tank. Finally!
Install GFCI outlet. i got the combo GFCI and AFCI outlet. Someone tell me if this is a bad idea. I figure its only $10 more, so why not. The outlet do feel a bit warm to touch. I google it and it seems to be normal of AFCI outlet to be a tad warm due to active electronics. I wonder how much electricity is used.

Going to be busy on weekdays, so next weekend to do list

1. Going back down in the crawspace to inspect the RO line ( i may have cause a small bend/kink, and need to reassess if i want to replace that section)
  2. Since I'm going down there, i'll likely put in a couple of extra support for the floor joist. I don't think its absolutely needed for a tank like mine, but its only an hour of work at most. Planning to use the deck concrete block and 4x4. I'll not be jacking up the house, just adding extra support. I figure now or never. After i fill the tank, its going too late to add extra support.
  3. Install DI filter.
  4. Run drain from the tank to the laundry room. Should be easy, just drill a 1" hole through a drywall (interior wall). I am waiting for grommets to arrived sometime next week.

Qt 30-days copper will take me through Feb 9th. I have some time to do more prep work .

Finished the plumbing. The brute is the mixing station and the smaller 5G bucket is ATO reservoir. Cannot fit 2 10G Brute side by side with the over on.

Took a few attempt and a couple of trip to home depot. Decided to run the mixing station plumbing this way so that i use only 1 uniseal near the top of the bucket. 2 valve to control mixing or pumping up to the tank.

Water is half filled. Going to aquascape next. Hopefully i have some time later this evening, if not un the next couple of days.

Attachments

• IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1319.jpg
    IMG_1319.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 221
Is the ATO reservoir connected to your rodi, or will you have to refill it every 5G? You may want a larger reservoir if it’s not connected but I think you were fishing the line under your floors, right?

Mixing station on the tank is a nice perk of the AIO. Nice progress!

Is the ATO reservoir connected to your rodi, or will you have to refill it every 5G? You may want a larger reservoir if it’s not connected but I think you were fishing the line under your floors, right?

Mixing station on the tank is a nice perk of the AIO. Nice progress!

Yes, its connected to RODI but the way my setup works, i have to manually turn on a switch to fill. At least right now, i don;t trust the float valve enough to have the RODI on all the time.

I figure flipping the switch for 20mins is enough to fill the 5g reservoir. One day i might pony up to get a 10G reservoir that can fit the space. I originally plan to ahve 2 of the same 10G brute. They won;t fit side by side.

Tank arrived yesterday. The cabinet is slightly damaged, just cosmetic in a area that is not too visible. I'm deciding if its worth to swap out.

Leveling the tank is a pain especially on a very old 60yrs old floor. There is a 0.4" drop across the length 48" of the tank. Did the best i can. Is this "Good" enough?
the bubble is in within the line, but its not perfect. the level is 24" long.

On a different note, i lost a fish in QT today. :( i took the cover off to dome some maintenance, and only realized a chromis jump out when i stepped on it. Poor fish. On the other hand, the picky clown is eating more now.

Yes it's fine.

I find this a bit odd. I've never seen a stand like this. Maybe I've just never noticed. I'd double check with Waterbox to be sure that's the way it's supposed to be.

Arg.. trying to aquascape is the turning to be a pain. I spend some time with aquascape before cycling the rock in the tub. Took a few pictures (should have taken more!). Trying to recreate the same scape in the tank is more painful then i thought. I also now now realized i didn't wash the dry rock thoroughly. There is a bunch of loose sand from the rock even after dipping/rinse. I'll have to siphon out loose bits later. My pristine clean water is now polluted. haha

lesson learned:

1. Take a lot more picture especially throughout the different stages of scaping. The final scape alone is not sufficient.
2. Rinse macro rock and the rinse some more before putting in the tank

Last edited:
It’s hard to get the dust all off. Once it’s in the tank the dust will just join the sand, or if you’re going bare bottom it will be easy to siphon up, since it will likely get out in a pile by the flow.
I’m cycling some in a bucket to add to my tank and have rinsed them a bunch and still get dust

It’s hard to get the dust all off. Once it’s in the tank the dust will just join the sand, or if you’re going bare bottom it will be easy to siphon up, since it will likely get out in a pile by the flow.
I’m cycling some in a bucket to add to my tank and have rinsed them a bunch and still get dust
I will start out as bare bottom. Yeah, siphon out should not be a big deal, but just another step in the process.

Yes, its connected to RODI but the way my setup works, i have to manually turn on a switch to fill. At least right now, i don;t trust the float valve enough to have the RODI on all the time.

I figure flipping the switch for 20mins is enough to fill the 5g reservoir. One day i might pony up to get a 10G reservoir that can fit the space. I originally plan to ahve 2 of the same 10G brute. They won;t fit side by side.
Put in a float valve just in case you forget to turn off the water. I also drilled my water container near the top and ran a tubing to a drain as a fail safe overflow. Are you using anything to bond your rocks together for your scape? If not consider e-marco cement.

Back