High Tide Aquatics

Flooring Experts Talk to Me

He hates plank flooring. All the up and down to make cuts. But carpet he is a true artist. He was one of the first installer qualified to install berber.

Can you save some of the old flooring?
Seems like that should be waterproof. Especially if epoxied at the joints.
Looks a lot better than some rubber mat. Should protect new floor well.
I would put that, with a small bit of decorative moulding on edges, below new tank, extending out a few inches around the stand.

He hates plank flooring. All the up and down to make cuts. But carpet he is a true artist. He was one of the first installer qualified to install berber.

Wish I would've known Jerry does carpeting. I just had carpet installed from Home Depot at my house.

Bruce,
I ended up going with Lifeproof LVP at the house. Hopefully the planks don't buckle under pressure from the weight of my Reefer.

ec84faedfe8373c3a24936392f1cfa5c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do the legs of your stand look like???
I would worry more about dents from any leveling screws, shims, etc instead of warping.

Just FYI, glue down is a lot more durable than floating floors. Also will hold up better to heavy objects and is easier to replace if a piece gets damaged.

Both types have pros and cons.
I think I like floating better in general. It has a bit of give, and is warmer.
But my big tank is on a glued-down floor. It has a lot of legs, each with pads.

@rygh, I think you nailed it. There’s pros and cons to every type of flooring, you just have to determine what is best suited to your situation. I look and work with wood practically every day so when I look at flooring I automatically disregard anything synthetic. There are a great many pros to synthetic materials and many of them do look very close to real wood but I can always see and feel the difference. Most often I end up choosing a good quality engineered floor since it has real wood on top that is laminated onto plywood to offer greater stability from expansion and contraction.

Back