got ethical husbandry?

Fluconazole od?

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
So I treated my 40 gallon and had some left over and decided to treat my 16 gallon. It's working great in my 40. Already seeing die off of gha and bryopsis. I get home from work today and my frogspawn and Duncan is completely sucked up and a few zoas are melting. I just tested my water to see what could be off but nothing. All my numbers are great. I did use two capsules for the biocube 16. It says each capsule treats 10 gallons.
I panicked and moved my frogspawn and duncan over to my 40 gallon and I just did a 50% water change on the biocube.
Here's a pic of the frogspawn.
20201013_173231.jpg

I think it is very unlikely to be due to the fluconazole. People have dosed a lot more than that without harming coral.

I think it is very unlikely to be due to the fluconazole. People have dosed a lot more than that without harming coral.

That's what I heard. I noticed my nudibranch was looking pretty bad off. Could he of poisoned stuff as he died?

Following along, although I don’t know the cause. I’ve seen statements online of up to 5x overdoses without ill effects, so I doubt that’s the cause.
I don’t believe bryopsis die-odd causes any major issues either. The first time I did my tank looked like this before treatment, and I had no LPS issues.
9409CCB7-AE93-4320-99BB-6F1D05298A7B.png
Your flucon is the same bottle as just went in my tank a few weeks back, so nothing odd there.
I can say first hand that it is berghia safe, and I’m pretty sure a friend back in TX had no issues with a lettuce nudibranch during treatment, but I don’t know about your specific variety.

Attachments

• 0994A064-259E-46BA-999A-B80F87B1A483.png
    0994A064-259E-46BA-999A-B80F87B1A483.png
    815 KB · Views: 172
Following along, although I don’t know the cause. I’ve seen statements online of up to 5x overdoses without ill effects, so I doubt that’s the cause.
I don’t believe bryopsis die-odd causes any major issues either. The first time I did my tank looked like this before treatment, and I had no LPS issues.
View attachment 20757Your flucon is the same bottle as just went in my tank a few weeks back, so nothing odd there.
I can say first hand that it is berghia safe, and I’m pretty sure a friend back in TX had no issues with a lettuce nudibranch during treatment, but I don’t know about your specific variety.

I'm interested to see what it looks like now post flucon treatment! I just bought some, but I'm not going to use it until I've tried some things to get my phosphates and nitrates under control (or it'll just come back).

V

I'm interested to see what it looks like now post flucon treatment! I just bought some, but I'm not going to use it until I've tried some things to get my phosphates and nitrates under control (or it'll just come back).

V

I'm only on day 3 of treatment for my 40g. But I can already see the stuff turning white and dying off.

V
Getting phosphates under control never worked for me. My current tank the Hanna phosphorus ULR was consistently coming in at 0.006 PPM phosphate (2 on the meter) and the bryopsis was still gaining ground quickly. Higher strength hydrogen peroxide (20% to 35%) might have set it back, but I hadn't tried that yet. It probably wouldn't have actually eradicated it. The flucon will eradicate the bryopsis, so it's gone unless you reintroduce it. I wouldn't wait if you already have the med.

As for after photos, for a couple weeks the rocks were basically bare and white where there wasn't coral. Unfortunately it was my first time doing this, and people I trusted insisted it would kill the hair algae if only I was more patient. This did not prove to be the case, and the hair algae took over before I got tired of being patient. There are some pretty coral pictures (taken during the hair algae phase, but they don't show it too much) here: https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/moving-in-from-texas.22952/page-7.

Did you do anything other than the 50% water change (ie run a skimmer, carbon, purigen, etc)? If not, you're still running a 50% dose, which may be effective (mixed stories).

Open and mix one capsule for every 10 gallons of total tank volume. Give up on mixing after 10 minutes of trying to get it all dissolved. Dump it in.
On principle you have to try to dissolve it, but he's really not kidding about the giving up part. I even have a stir plate and eventually gave up on getting it all dissolved.

The blue/white capsules from overseas open pretty easily, but with the green/white Reef Flux ones I cut them open with a razor blade because they don't always open nicely and I don't want the powder flying everywhere.

Back