Reef nutrition

Fluconazole od?

I used it a couple years ago in my mixed reef when I had a minor outbreak, it worked like magic with zero problems. Seriously crazy that Bryopsis used to end tanks and now is no big deal.

My notes on it:
20 mg/gallon (1 capsule per 10 gallons)

Water change before treatment
Manually remove as much as possible
Remove from capsule
Pre-dissolve in water, add to tank or sump
1-time dose

Carbon reactor off for 14 days
Skimmer on with cup off for 7-14 days
UV left on or off

30% water change in 14 days

No effect on chaeto, fish, inverts

Before:
20201015_190806.jpg

Day 5:
20201015_190833.jpg

Reactions: JVU
On principle you have to try to dissolve it, but he's really not kidding about the giving up part. I even have a stir plate and eventually gave up on getting it all dissolved.

The blue/white capsules from overseas open pretty easily, but with the green/white Reef Flux ones I cut them open with a razor blade because they don't always open nicely and I don't want the powder flying everywhere.
Are you dose only once, too?

Are you dose only once, too?
Correct. I put the skimmer on and started changing water at the 3 week mark, probably could have done so at the 2 week mark.

min the past I dosed a second time at 3 weeks to try to resolve a different issue, but saw no changes with the second dose.

Did you snails/crabs, etc starve after the treament?

I have a lot of bryopsis, and have been picking it out and doing water changes. I have a (too small) cleaning crew. I also have enough "Reef Flux" flucono(whateve) to treat the tank, but I don't want to kill off the inverts and honestly, I'd love to find the cause of the bloom (high nutrients/nitrates/phosphates) but since all my fish died, the excessive feeding has stopped and I thought that those params would drop enough to prevent so much bryopsis. Even after harvesting out a lot, it grows back, which tells me there is still enough N/P in there for it. The only thing I feed is a pinch of crushed flake for some gorgonians (and aiptasia, of course). I mean, that might be too much already.

If snails can survive the fluco treatment, I'll do it.

V

Did you snails/crabs, etc starve after the treament?

I have a lot of bryopsis, and have been picking it out and doing water changes. I have a (too small) cleaning crew. I also have enough "Reef Flux" flucono(whateve) to treat the tank, but I don't want to kill off the inverts and honestly, I'd love to find the cause of the bloom (high nutrients/nitrates/phosphates) but since all my fish died, the excessive feeding has stopped and I thought that those params would drop enough to prevent so much bryopsis. Even after harvesting out a lot, it grows back, which tells me there is still enough N/P in there for it. The only thing I feed is a pinch of crushed flake for some gorgonians (and aiptasia, of course). I mean, that might be too much already.

If snails can survive the fluco treatment, I'll do it.

V

All of my snails survived. This stuff really only gets rid of the bryopsis. The gha and other algae all pretty much was unaffected.

Back