got ethical husbandry?

For those interested in buying G2 Red Sea tanks

I'm beating a dead horse, but in case any new reefers see this:

There are no official statistics on tank failure rates by manufacturers. Anecdotally, however, I'd say that at least 9 of every 10 tank failure posts I see on social media are from Red Sea. It's prevalent enough that I'm actually more surprised when it's *not* a Red Sea tank.

Red Sea's customer service is also atrocious. When my Red Sea Reefer 250 tank seam suddenly delaminated (didn't fail, thankfully, but only a matter of time until it did), Red Sea's response was paraphrased, "Damn, that sucks." Their suggestion was to sell me another Reefer 250 at a discount; which, when combined with the shipping and tax, was roughly the price of retail. When I asked about a discount on a Reefer 250 Gen 2 (because they had updates targeted towards this issue), they refused and basically said, "Take it or leave it."

I am one voice. Take everything, everyone says with a grain of salt (myself included). But I strongly advocate staying away from Red Sea.

I had a Red Sea 525 Gen 1 that was going to fail. I could see bubbles along the bottom seam, although it never fully leaked. They advised me to drain it immediately. I sent Red Sea images and all documents they requested. After a lot of back and forth and them being hard to reach, they offered me a $900 credit on the same size system or larger, could not choose a smaller system. This credit also expired in 3 months from that email… That system costs $3600 new. Asking me to scramble 3k in such a short amount of time for something that was on them is crazy. At the time I was a big Red Sea fan. I had another Red Sea Max E 170 I also purchased new, and a Reefer 425 that I picked up second hand on here. After that whole thing, I’ll never do Red Sea again. It wasn’t even just the seam issue, I get it mistakes happen. It was the fact that their customer service was so unhelpful even after providing them everything they asked for. I understand it’s a business and the whole warranty thing but crazy that by just a few months out of it they basically told me I was screwed. The representative I got was Amanda. I swear it’s like she gets paid to not help you lol

Its sad how clean and popular their tanks are, but they wont fix their product or right the situation. I feel like they could fix this issue if they re engineered the product instead of doing a band aid fix with the seals

When I was window shopping for a used tank, I saw a lot of used RS tanks, but I knew it wasnt worth the risk. The tank I got was an Oceanic, seals were a bit chipped away, but it hadnt been dry for very long, maybe a week, so I felt comfortable with it. Didnt feel like re doing all of the seals, so I just put extra silicone over the existing seals, doesnt look great but gives me some peace of mind

I also experienced a Red Sea tank leak and have had the pleasure of interacting with their atrocious customer service.

I have not spent a cent on any RS products since.
I bought their Reef Foundations alkalinity, since it had always worked well, and AB+.

I started making Randy Holmes-Farley's alk solution, and have moved to Reef Nutrition. Much like you said, I refuse to give them a cent of my money ever again.

I too am a member of this unfortunate club. I agree with what everyone else has said. I hope that eventually enough word will get around that they end up closing up shop. They have not fixed the problem. They have not addressed the problem publicly, and they continue to sell these tanks. The only option left is for them to go out of business. I hope that happens, but who knows.

Back