Reef nutrition

For those with older Red Sea tanks and valves

I usually don’t wait long after using primer and cement when making changes to running tanks. Maybe 10 minutes at the most.

I also built the drain away from the tank and not in place since I only had a straight shot of pipe to worry about so the change was quick to the new drain in this case. But some will say wait 24 hours to fully cure, but I’ve never done that personally and haven’t seen an issue.
Thanks. I’ll prob put the new valve in the same place as the old for simplicity.

Thanks. I’ll prob put the new valve in the same place as the old for simplicity.

Oh, gate valve was in the same place, I meant that I didn’t have to remove the old plumbing and build the new drain while the tank was down.

I built the new drain with gate valve away from the tank while the old one was still running. So I didn’t have to worry about much down time.

I think Red Sea g1 has a design flaw with the entire plumbing system
With update gate valve , the water level is much improved/noise, but not perfect

Attachments

• IMG_1487.jpeg
    IMG_1487.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 68
For those who have had older Red Sea tanks (I think the valves are different on the new G2+) tanks-did you replace out the original valve for a gate valve?

I love the Red Sea tank I have except for the original valve. Almost every day I need to muck with it to avoid noise and regulate water through the sump. Wondering if I swap it out for an actual gate valve would help stabilize water flow.

But if I do-who are the master plumbers here? I’d def need need some help on this.

TIA
Are you running an AC or DC return pump. I went through the same issues on my old style Reefer 170 with noise and water flow stability, I replaced the valve with a gate valve and it didn't help. Then about a month ago, as a last attempt before giving up and living with it, I bought a cheap jebao DC return pump to replace my sicce syncra AC pump and I've not had any issue since, flow stable and no noise. If I could go back, I'd start there...

Are you running an AC or DC return pump. I went through the same issues on my old style Reefer 170 with noise and water flow stability, I replaced the valve with a gate valve and it didn't help. Then about a month ago, as a last attempt before giving up and living with it, I bought a cheap jebao DC return pump to replace my sicce syncra AC pump and I've not had any issue since, flow stable and no noise. If I could go back, I'd start there...

DC. Def not the pump-but rather the valve. It def does not seem to function as it should. I should prob clean it first before I go through the hassle of replumbing it.

Back