Reef nutrition

Found: flashlight in sump

I did my best to search BAR for an answer before posting, for obvious reasons : / I didn't realize I had dropped a small 2x AAA LED flashlight in my sump. Submerged there for no more than 36 hours and no fewer than what it takes for a lot of dark grayish water to pool under the light after removing the light. Yeah...

Everything looks fine.

I put in a Polyfilter in the sump and have enough water for a 20% change, if necessary. But it's 11:00.

Any experience you can share?

#ups-and-downs

I did my best to search BAR for an answer before posting, for obvious reasons : / I didn't realize I had dropped a small 2x AAA LED flashlight in my sump. Submerged there for no more than 36 hours and no fewer than what it takes for a lot of dark grayish water to pool under the light after removing the light. Yeah...

Everything looks fine.

I put in a Polyfilter in the sump and have enough water for a 20% change, if necessary. But it's 11:00.

Any experience you can share?

#ups-and-downs
As long as the battery did not leak, no rust passed in i think u good. Most likely the flashlight shorted but the current from these batteries is bot strong enough to do damage.

The batteries are a mess. The are rusted. The white case at the battery holder is stained orange. And when I lifted the light out and onto a table, gray water came out. Oxidized whatever-it-is. Oops.

I think the worst is over. Looking at my ORP log, I see a dip around a time this probably happened. Today, a ricordia and toad stool, both super-consistent, have not at all been happy at all. And while everything else looks same as usual.

Will run some carbon tomorrow.

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 12.40.57 AM.png

The batteries are a mess. The are rusted. The white case at the battery holder is stained orange. And when I lifted the light out and onto a table, gray water came out. Oxidized whatever-it-is. Oops.

I think the worst is over. Looking at my ORP log, I see a dip around a time this probably happened. Today, a ricordia and toad stool, both super-consistent, have not at all been happy at all. And while everything else looks same as usual.

Will run some carbon tomorrow.

View attachment 19792
What type of batteries? Man the metals inside these tuinfs are scary. And lithium is highly toxic to reef.
Maybe an icp would be good.

Good thinking: ICP. I have one. Will send a sample after I do a water change. These were cheap alkaline batteries that come in cheap dollar-store type flashlights. A quick search is showing me they have "zinc and manganese dioxide as electrodes. The alkaline electrolyte used is either potassium or sodium hydroxide." Means nothing to me or what happens to it in salt water.

What is an icp?
Lab send-out that tests for a bunch of elements

Good thinking: ICP. I have one. Will send a sample after I do a water change. These were cheap alkaline batteries that come in cheap dollar-store type flashlights. A quick search is showing me they have "zinc and manganese dioxide as electrodes. The alkaline electrolyte used is either potassium or sodium hydroxide." Means nothing to me or what happens to it in salt water.
Zinc is also toxic and hard to remove from water. Not aware of anything that can bind it. So water changes is definitely warranted

Last edited:
Your tank isn’t that big, why not just do a couple large (like 50%) water changes? And I’d specifically clean/suction out around where the light was in the sump in case something is heavier and settled in there.

I agree with "large water change" maybe multiple ones.

The electricity wouldn't do anything, but the leaked chemicals might.

But if you see no harmful effects after a day or two, maybe it's nothing to worry about.

V

Not sure if it’s till on the market and if so, under what name/brand but check for “heavy-metal sponge”. Not sure if I still have some of that stuff but if I do, would be old.

Hiya @ofzakaria ! Thanks for asking. The only visible issue I've seen is that a single ricordia has shrunk-down to smaller than eraser size. And a toadstool softie is contracted. Both affected around that time. Everything else though seems AOK. All snails, a clam, other softies, LPS, and SPS look good.

I did another 20% change and I've got 4 liters changing daily through my auto water change.

I haven't sent the ICP. This weekend I hope to get it out. Since there wasn't much visibly happening I procrastinated. But I know what I'm dealing with may have longterm detriment. So--getting out asap. I just don't get out to post offices like I used to prior to C-19 era : )

Another observation: no color changes of the Poly Filter (other than tan organics). The packaging indicated it would change a color (blue maybe) if there are concentrated heavy metals. I've got Cuprisorb in there too.

It was recommended I clean the sump. I need to due that too. A good wipe-down to ensure their's no residual.

If there is any upside, the light did fall next to my skimmer. Suspecting material was drawn into it.

Hiya @ofzakaria ! Thanks for asking. The only visible issue I've seen is that a single ricordia has shrunk-down to smaller than eraser size. And a toadstool softie is contracted. Both affected around that time. Everything else though seems AOK. All snails, a clam, other softies, LPS, and SPS look good.

I did another 20% change and I've got 4 liters changing daily through my auto water change.

I haven't sent the ICP. This weekend I hope to get it out. Since there wasn't much visibly happening I procrastinated. But I know what I'm dealing with may have longterm detriment. So--getting out asap. I just don't get out to post offices like I used to prior to C-19 era : )

Another observation: no color changes of the Poly Filter (other than tan organics). The packaging indicated it would change a color (blue maybe) if there are concentrated heavy metals. I've got Cuprisorb in there too.

It was recommended I clean the sump. I need to due that too. A good wipe-down to ensure their's no residual.

If there is any upside, the light did fall next to my skimmer. Suspecting material was drawn into it.
That's good signs so far. I would still send an ICP.
I was thinking about u the last couple days. Glad things are not bad at least..

Back