Kessil

George's IM Nuvo 14

For today’s update.

@PeetaJai gave me a one head candy cane that was struggling in his tank. It’s starting to make a come back and forming a 3rd head already.

And yes, still battling hair algae.

07b10815f1b7fadce191e5084c787ee5.jpg
I wonder if that’s the one I gave him. Or at least I think I have him one.

For today’s update.

@PeetaJai gave me a one head candy cane that was struggling in his tank. It’s starting to make a come back and forming a 3rd head already.

And yes, still battling hair algae.

07b10815f1b7fadce191e5084c787ee5.jpg
Wow George
Great job!!!
Well done, from 1 head to 3 heads!! It was 3 head down to 1 head when I had it [emoji23].
I am happy is doing well.

I think it’s time to think about dosing 2-part for this tank. I’ve been testing daily and water changes and kalk are barely keeping my alk stable.
even then, it’s a low stable at 6.5-7.

I’d definitely suggest 2 part or some kind of automated dosing. You have a ton of corals in the tank so alk and calcium consumption will be through the roof. Tank looks great!

I’d definitely suggest 2 part or some kind of automated dosing. You have a ton of corals in the tank so alk and calcium consumption will be through the roof. Tank looks great!
I saved my dosers from my old/larger tank for this reason. I've got 2-part coming from BRS this week and will get that up and running. I think I assumed because my corals are still (at least from my POV) "frag-sized" vs. mother colony, that the consumption wouldn't be that bad. My frogspawn is the only thing I'd really consider a colony at this point. But, definitely from the testing, I'm fighting to keep my levels up. I was dosing kalk because I was afraid to hook it to my ATO in such a small tank, and lately have been hand-pouring to top off every day. I can't get my levels to bump up except for water changes.

So, I'm a bit lazy on testing except for Alk, which I've been trying to get back up into a better range. Did a full set of tests this morning:
  • Alk: 6.3
  • Calc: 405
  • Mag: 1420
  • Nitrate: 0
  • Phosphate: .03 ppm. (1 on Hanna HI736)
I'm still fighting hair algae, but it's been a little more under control.

A few hair algae questions for anyone seeing this:
  • Will a toothbrush hurt SPS? I have a few frags where there is hair algae at the base, but it's hard to get at without brushing some of the coral itself. I've always been a little gun shy about doing anything that touches my corals (and probably should know the answer to this after a decade+ in the hobby)
  • How do you all get into the crevices? I've got some branching live rock and it's hard to get in there. The hair algae seems to now be staying away from areas of my rock that I can completely remove it. However, where I have trouble getting it all off, it continues to grow because none of my CUC seems to be able to get it cleaned off.
  • Any other thoughts other than keeping up with water changes and hand picking on getting it under control?

I got some baby trochus for you that maybe will be good at getting into small tough spots? I’ve seen some tiny tuxedo urchins from ora a few times before that would maybe do good in your tank. It’s glass right?

I got some baby trochus for you that maybe will be good at getting into small tough spots? I’ve seen some tiny tuxedo urchins from ora a few times before that would maybe do good in your tank. It’s glass right?

I might take you up on the baby trochus. How do you breed them? I have two large trochus in my tank but they can't get into the crevices.

Would a tuxedo run out of algae in my tank? Also, it sounds like while they're reef safe, they may move things around (i.e. all my frags would have to be secured down?)

Yes you run the risk of them moving stuff. Try the trochus first. They’re free and local.
I do nothing to breed them. Think I just got the right ones that were already used to captivity and came from one that were reproducing In someone else’s tank. I have no fish or anything to eat them in the frag tanks probably helps

Added a 2 polyp DBTC Sunkist bounce to the tank yesterday. It’s opened up and showing nicely.

From @Baykes

c714e8a9185b8db9973bf7032352536d.jpg

Eagerly awaiting my 2-part supplies shipment.

I guess something is growing in the tank, even if it sometimes doesn’t look like it. As mentioned, this is 15-20% water change and topping off with kalk in between.

ebea851db6d81e08e97a1534397528b5.jpg

Back