Cali Kid Corals

Gravity top off options for red sea

richiev

Supporting Member
I like the red sea gravity ATOs. They're slow to release water, they have a pretty good size volume, they're quiet, and are sort of out of the way.

However they take up a ton of space.

What I'd like is a gravity fed ATO on my red sea, but with the reservoir around half the width. Ideally sized so I could fit a filter roller into my sump.

Has anyone done such a thing, or does everyone just go electronic in this situation?

My current setup is the Reefer 500 with its standard reservoir and ATO. I have an electronic/pump ATO that runs every other day for at most 20 minutes, moving water from a decorative jug to the ato reservoir. Together they mean I only need to top off something manually about once a week.

I recently set up a RedSea 525. My first tank. I took out the built in ATO from the start since I needed room for a manifold which will run future equipment. The built in ATO takes up a lot of space. I also wanted to use a larger ATO reservoir so I can go a few weeks without a refill. I am currently using a separate 20 gallon reservoir that sits in a cabinet next to the tank.

Maybe I'll have to just give up and go that route, but it's a bummer. The 100% quietness, nice slow drip, and lack of electronics of a gravity fed ATO I really like. I also need to figure out how to prettily store more ATO water, but it would allow me to clean up my setup...

Maybe the solution is just buy one of these:

1696483807636.png

Or I guess the real solution is suck it up, drill a hole through my wall & stucco, and put my ATO reservoir outside. That'd simplify a lot of things for me.

you can try making a custom out of acrylic. it's hidden in your cabinet so no worries about making it perfect, just need it water tight.

Maybe I'll have to just give up and go that route, but it's a bummer. The 100% quietness, nice slow drip, and lack of electronics of a gravity fed ATO I really like. I also need to figure out how to prettily store more ATO water, but it would allow me to clean up my setup...

Maybe the solution is just buy one of these:

View attachment 50008

Or I guess the real solution is suck it up, drill a hole through my wall & stucco, and put my ATO reservoir outside. That'd simplify a lot of things for me.

Having had numerous gravity fed ATO's, I can tell you they are not 100% quiet. They all burp and that can be more starting then a quiet pinch roller doser.

you can try making a custom out of acrylic. it's hidden in your cabinet so no worries about making it perfect, just need it water tight.
I don't really have room in my cabinet unfortunately. Or I guess I could have room, but that'd be a downer since I feel TT stand is already pretty packed.

I'm really debating just drilling a hole through my wall. It's a an exterior wall. Inside is plaster. Outside is stucco. The area outside the wall is a small walkway that's fenced off on both sides so not visible.

@Srt4eric as an expert in these matters, would you expect that to be complicated? Can I just use a long masonry bit and do a small hole the size of an RODI line and then spray foam it or something outside?

I'd imagine I'd run a hard RO tubing through the wall, then connect it to a big outside reservoir. Make sure it's opaque or covered, make sure the tubing isn't getting sunblasted.

Back