Jestersix

GROW-OUT CONTEST: Pink Boobies Chalice - Growth Tracking

Congrats to the 6 others who made it this far. It is more fun when we have more people competing. Thanks again to @grizfyrfyter for contributing the chalices for this contest and @Flagg37 for admin.

I do not know if I am the final winner but here is my write up:

IMG_1113.jpg

This coral was placed in my DIY frag tank 18 x 16 x 8" under a Chinese box LED (4-5 years old) at about 150 PAR. Blue lights on 8 hours; other lights 4 hours in between. The frag tank is connected to my main tank located in my sump area where my overflow goes down to. Only powerhead is a Koralia providing flow. There is a lot of live rock in this tank that my egg crate sits on. I have a couple of trochus snails, 10-15 hermit crabs, and a mandarin fish, as well as, a bunch of frags.

I fed this coral every other day with either my DIY mix of clams, oysters, and nori or polyp lab reef roids from the beginning until mid August. I shut down the power head during feeding for about a couple of hours or when I remember to turn it back on; overflow continues. There have been times when I had the pump turned off the entire night.

I have had good success with chalices in general. This was the first time I ever target fed chalices and I think the feedings helped with growth. I am curious to hear how everyone else cared for their coral. What are your thoughts? Did you feed like crazy?

Mine is in my reefer 250 that I feed a lot.

I run my lights 14 hours a day with a long ramp time and 5 hours at peak PAR. The pink boobies was getting around 100-150 PAR throughout the day.

My auto feeder feeds reef nutrition TDO pellets mixed with reef roids 4-6 times a day depending on where my po4 is sitting. And also once a day I dump in Red Sea Reef Energy, wait a few minutes and then feed a mix of Rods Food, Selcon, reef nutrition R.O.E, oyster feast, phytoplankton and reef roids. So mine got lots of indirect feeding. I’m way too lazy to target feed corals other than my nems and large LPS like my torches and stuff.

I keep my nitrate between 5 and 10 and phosphate between.01 and .04. Phosphate has been known to jump if I don’t swap GFO every 2 weeks.

I don’t regularly run any carbon. In fact I’ve only ran it once since I got this coral. That was 2 weeks because I just felt like it.

I was also dosing Red Sea Trace Elements every week, but I am now using the ESV transition elements in conjunction with my ESV 2 part.

I will say this coral became much more pink since I got it.

Sorry for the delay guys. The table on the first page has been updated. 1st place goes to @glee with over 30 eyes. 2nd place was much closer with @Rostato taking it with 27 eyes. 3rd place with 25 eyes is @Cheedo . 1st place will get a gift card for $80 to the LFS of their choice, and 2nd place gets a $30 gift card. Spend it wisely guys :). Everyone else, thanks for participating and lets look forward to the next one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back