got ethical husbandry?

[Grow-out Contest] Tangerine Dreams Chalice - GROWTH TRACKING

Coinciding with a frag workshop is a good idea. Maybe we can do another fragging workshop in a few months?

I'm headed to Neptune today and a few Sac stores tomorrow, I'm not on the BOD and I don't know if any of the sac shops are sponsors but I'm happy to poke the contacts I have to get them looking for something from a wholesaler.
I still want to run a contest but not sure what the interest is like. Only 4 people liked the post I made and I think Flagg is in Colorado lol. Did you see any goodies while at Neptune's or up in Sac?

I'm sure there would be plenty of interest if costs are kept low.

I am going up to sac and I'll poke my contacts there for something we can chop up. I have access to a saw and room in the frag tank.

If all else fails, I do have two 6" pieces of Miami hurricane that I can cut up into 10 or more frags. I won't charge for the coral so maybe participants make a $20 donation to the club, winner gets half of the $ and the rest goes to the club.

I'm sure there would be plenty of interest if costs are kept low.

I am going up to sac and I'll poke my contacts there for something we can chop up. I have access to a saw and room in the frag tank.

If all else fails, I do have two 6" pieces of Miami hurricane that I can cut up into 10 or more frags. I won't charge for the coral so maybe participants make a $20 donation to the club, winner gets half of the $ and the rest goes to the club.
Thanks Griz; that's very generous of you...if you can and while you are up in Sac, check with Your Reef. I believe they give us 10% discount too. Might mention what it's for and the purpose behind the acquisition. Would a $50 GC from the store where the coral is purchased from be enough of a prize to get people to participate? Take and post the eye candy, start a pole, and if there is enough commitment, move it forward?

I think a grow out contest should coincide with the frag workshop or any other BAR event. Purchase a coral from a BAR sponsor, frag it up at the event, and distribute to attendees. The fee to participate would cover the cost of the coral and a small prize to the winner. Like this post if you want something like this and willing to participate.

Maybe at the next frag swap?

I think chalices make a good candidate. I really like @Rostato lemon favia type. Anything fast growing, easy to keep, easy to judge, and desirable should fit.

I have a bunch of Joker Favia's I'd be willing to give out for a grow out contest...I think I have 5 frags. Problem is they are all different sizes.

Are you coming to the frag swap? Possible to make 10 equal sized frags out of what you have?

I am, and not really. I don’t have the band saw anymore. But if I can get ahold of a band saw and time (time being the hardest) I’d be willing to do it.

I am, and not really. I don’t have the band saw anymore. But if I can get ahold of a band saw and time (time being the hardest) I’d be willing to do it.
What city are you in? Maybe we can get a bandsaw to you from a member close by and get this done before the frag swap. @dochou had a great idea about spreading it at the frag swap and start the contest then.

I messaged John @ Your Reef. He is expecting a large shipment of Australian LPS colonies in the next couple weeks. There should be something good there.

It would help if we can narrow down what we are looking for. Maybe a new thread with a poll of desired coral species

I messaged John @ Your Reef. He is expecting a large shipment of Australian LPS colonies in the next couple weeks. There should be something good there.

It would help if we can narrow down what we are looking for. Maybe a new thread with a poll of desired coral species
Good idea. Feel free to create one. Anybody can make a poll.

I have a coral bandsaw. I’m usually around the Mountain View and Milpitas area Monday-Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Fremont. We will have to try and work something out. If we have genuine interest and a set of people committed to joining the grow out contest, I’ll try my best to get them fragged or give corals to someone to frag out.

Back