Cali Kid Corals

Gus' stash up for grabs

Ok so Gus decided to take down his tank, and wanted to rehome the livestock (that was still alive), he decided to give most of it to me not because I wanted it but because he had to hop back on a boat in a couple days and didn't have time to deal with a bunch of people and what not, so I'm here to deal with people :D. It was sad what happened to his tank too, I didn't document it but man it looked bad, all the acros were dead, not a single one alive. Somethings did lose color as well, and yeah there was an absolute crap ton of majano anemones which required some very brutal like fragging to try and prevent any cross contamination and to quote Bruce Willis in "The Siege" 'The Army is a broadsword, not a scalpel.' well lets just say there was a lot more broadswording then scapeling (yes I know those aren't words). I probably could have done better if I had a coral bandsaw, clippers are nice for big things but for delicate cutting not so much.

So everything is in QT frag tank so I can make sure no nasties are still left, and to let a few things heal up (maybe even color up). I kept a grand total of 3 things most everything else is up for grabs. Frag tank has mostly blue LEDs over it (royal and regular blue) so it's a real pain to take a picture as my phone doesn't have very good white balancing (at least of that level of blue), so I did turn the white lights on the fixture but it's an on/off thing so the white lights are 100% and it's REALLY white, which makes things look 'so-so' and is way more white to blue than most will ever have over a tank (I did take a few blue pics to give an idea of "better colors")

So unofficial asking for stuff, if too many people ask I'll find someway to be fair, find some way to distribute (I'll be at the BACFM in September too), but ultimately we'll see if people want it.

jaPHwsr.jpg

"Orange Crush" acan echinata close by, in the background is the "War coral" Favites(?)

H9TZGTL.jpg

One of the few blue pics, quite oversaturated I know, but Orange Crush is actually quite orange when you don't blast it with a ton of orange light. Warning on this coral though, it is very aggressive if you put it too close to something, one of the few corals that can actually win against aiptasia in fact! (so I've heard)

Izh1NPG.jpg

Not too good with names, I think Gus said lithophylion, something that started with an 'L' ? Either way I'll probably misidentify quite a few things. It's red and technically an LPS.

bLL9jCf.jpg

Purple litho(?)

lQdCXNg.jpg

Mystic Sunset monti. This was the one SPS that survived through all the crap, it was an absolutely huge colony probably 10' x 10" but there were a couple majanos growing on it so I had to cut them out which created frags, and I had to undercut all the rock, which made even more frags.

uan300L.jpg

Under blue light you can see yeah it still has that nice color. This "frag" is probably a 7" x 7" colony. Now first dibs for this goes to the Club. I'm not sure if there's any interest in this as a piece to auction off or as a nice raffle prize (someone in the BoD contact me if you do). While I am going to keep one of the frags of this, I don't quite want a piece this big :D LOTS of frags of this, and I can make more too (a few smaller large pieces.

MPmryPr.jpg

Red LPS with blue eyes, not sure what it is. Reminds me of a leptastria but not quite.

FObItwz.jpg

Ok this one supposedly is a branching lobo(?). It was receding quite a bit, and unfortunately majanos were high up on the branch and I didn't want to just scrape them off, I chopped off the branch and that may have been a mistake as the heads are quite fragile and fractured quite a bit. Now it's been a good week or so and the coral didn't "jump out" so maybe it will heal up? I can happily keep this in the frag tank for a while to see what happens.

nhutoug.jpg

With blue it definitely has some nice color potential, and I would feed it if I ever saw any feeding tentacles (maybe I should "chum the water" to see if it happens)

VqD69Jo.jpg

Frogspawn, similar to above had to chop the heads off, one head had an issue, but not to bad. On the right is a double head, and 3 heads on the plug (if there's that much interest I can always pop off heads). In the "middle" green litho? And off on the left side cyphastria (meteor shower)

3wTeJfT.jpg

Lots going on here, starting at the top left, half of mystic sunset, green litho(?), some chips of a mummy eye chalice, more mystic sunset, lower right Idaho Grape monti (this was quite browned out hoping it will color up)

MS7mslI.jpg

In the middle orange psammacora(?) some bigger frags of the mystic sunset, and Mario's red chalice that was half buried (totally can cut off the skeleton)

7BKFz0t.jpg

Purple green fungia, and leptoseris(?)

TExu1uh.jpg

bottom left that same green litho(?) I believe that was next to the mummy eye earlier, just a piece that was on a rock so less frag chips. Next to it on bottom more of that lobo(?). Middle left: Thick branch birdsnest, browned out a bit, but it does show hints of green (yeah I know... probably gonna end up in the frag swap). Not sure what's in the middle

akzp1pk.jpg

Lots of overlap in pictures. In the middle are two clusters of duncans, about 3 heads on each cluster I believe. In the circle at the bottom litho chalice maybe? It's green with blue eyes, not too shabby. Above those two some green lps, maybe lepastria, next to that an Acro! This actually is from my tank, Green Slimer just cleaning some space out of my tank.​

Oh and this isn't DBTC or anything, so no rules, but it should go without saying if Gus ever does get his tank up and ask for anything back be cool :)

Sorry this happened to Gus. He and we are very fortunate you stepped in and helped with this. Huge task to frag, host, image, and post all of these!

I’d be interested in the leptasria (red/blue). Are you in sf? If not it would be hard for me to get the frag so someone else should get it. I don’t have tons to trade but would be happy to share some zoas - I have green dragon, vamp and Gatorade Zoas if any of those interest you

While I wouldn't mind some zoanthids and what not for my softie/anemone tank (I have 2 in there, literally 2 polyps :D) trades aren't necessary, I'm giving this stuff away to members of the club :)

And now that I see a "zoomed in" image of it (i.e. not my eyes) I'm 99% sure that's not leptastrea, it's still an LPS probably favite family of corals.

Last edited:
I'm game, and would be grateful for anything that you're willing to part with. In no particular order, any of the monti pieces, frogspawn, any chalices. Also happy to use it to help other members and Gus provided it thrives :).

Where are you located?

Tough corals for sure, having survived the tank meltdown. Save any fungia skeletons. The purple green ones are pretty amazing at sprouting back babies.

While I wouldn't mind some zoanthids and what not for my softie/anemone tank (I have 2 in there, literally 2 polyps :D) trades aren't necessary, I'm giving this stuff away to members of the club :)

And now that I see a "zoomed in" image of it (i.e. not my eyes) I'm 99% sure that's not leptastrea, it's still an LPS probably favite family of corals.

In that case I’ll pass on it - too aggressive of a coral for my 10 gallon. I’d take the Duncan coral though! It looks pretty. Where are you located again? Happy to come by one day with some zoas for you.

Located in San Francisco, Portola/University Mount area. I have no problem holding onto the stuff for some prolonged time so don't feel the need to rush on over (especially considering I'm in the middle of a cleaning fiesta in my basement... and it's not going well :D). Unless plans MAJORLY change I will be going to the BACFM, and I will also be going to the BAR regional frag swap (whatever day/month that is... October? November?)

So just to have some record of what's asked for
@euod Mystic sunset monti, larger piece if possible. Green slimer. Not interested in Purple tang nor bicoloir, I could have gotten those from Gus if I wanted them :p Squamosa clam though...? :D
@Coral reefer Fungia
@pbh-reef Duncan
@igcreef Frogspawn
@borker Lets start with a couple pieces first, you can always request more if no one else requests anything else. Try to be specific about pieces, I mean for the mystic sunset monti that's fine but "chalices" is a bit vague.

I'm pretty close to portola (Silver Terrace). How about the circled 'Litho Chalice' in the bottom picture (since that's easy to ID)? I can swing by this weekend or whenever is good!

@Squist one of the Duncans please. (Presuming there are multiple Duncans.) And some of the green lps ("maybe lepastria" as description said). A nice help towards filing-in a blank canvas of a tank. Thanks Gus and BAR!

Back