Neptune Aquatics

Hands Down Best Coral Dip

You know I’ve heard about this dip but I just kinda dismissed it. Like how good can it be. All dips are extremely similar right ?
NOPE. this dip is the Bomb. So much stuff comes off of the coral. And it’s extremely cheap, buy it once and you’ll be set for your life. It’s not toxic, it’s clear so you can see what’s coming off, unlike Bayer. You can’t over mix it. It’s available almost at all Home Depot.
So what is it ???? Potassium Chloride. It’s water softener salt. It’s 40 dollars for 40lbs. Here’s the link to reefbum.

Here’s the link to Home Depot

Trust me. It’s really good. Yes that good. And I’ve tried a lot of dips over the years. I’ve dipped all kinds of corals. Not just sps.

Oh when done dipping just put the coral back into the display. No need for a rinse dip.

Btw. It’s not an irritant like most dips. This dip kills stuff. Thus making it different from other saltwater aquarium dips.
@Darkxerox Thomas knows a lot more than I do about how it kills.

Last edited:
You know I’ve heard about this dip but I just kinda dismissed it. Like how good can it be. All dips are extremely similar right ?
NOPE. this dip is the Bomb. So much stuff comes off of the coral. And it’s extremely cheap, buy it once and you’ll be set for your life. It’s not toxic, it’s clear so you can see what’s coming off, unlike Bayer. You can’t over mix it. It’s available almost at all Home Depot.
So what is it ???? Potassium Chloride. It’s water softener salt. It’s 40 dollars for 40lbs. Here’s the link to reefbum.

Here’s the link to Home Depot

Trust me. It’s really good. Yes that good. And I’ve tried a lot of dips over the years. I’ve dipped all kinds of corals. Not just sps.

Oh when done dipping just put the coral back into the display. No need for a rinse dip.

Btw. It’s not an irritant like most dips. This dip kills stuff. Thus making it different from other saltwater aquarium dips.
@Darkxerox Thomas knows a lot more than I do about how it kills.

Have you personally used it? Says aefw is it for other corals beyond sps too?

Interesting!

@Turkeysammich @Darkxerox - Any data on if it works on pests other than AEFW? Or if it is safe with non-SPS coral?

Also KCl is widely sold as a no-sodium alternative to table salt, and as a dietary supplement. Often in fine granular form, like regular salt, so you don’t have to break it up like described in that article. Lots of options on Amazon or local grocery store. Just make sure you get it pure, without iodine or other additives.

In case you don't need 40lbs, it's also available on Amazon pretty cheap, I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T1LZ4D2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Polyplab Reef Primer is another option that's branded for reef aquariums, though may have a slightly different formula.

I had a handful of acro colonies in a QT tank I was dipping for AEFW, and I switched to KCl and a TON of critters came off - this is after 3-4 dips with Coral RX, the last couple of which came up totally clear.

I had a baby gorilla crab (!) come off in the KCl, along with some worms I have never seen before, all kinds of pods, brittle stars, and some other creepy crawlies. All of which survived a number of Coral Rx dips. Seems to be very gentle on the coral as well. Can't speak to anything other than SPS though.

Interesting!

@Turkeysammich @Darkxerox - Any data on if it works on pests other than AEFW? Or if it is safe with non-SPS coral?

Also KCl is widely sold as a no-sodium alternative to table salt, and as a dietary supplement. Often in fine granular form, like regular salt, so you don’t have to break it up like described in that article. Lots of options on Amazon or local grocery store. Just make sure you get it pure, without iodine or other additives.
I use the Polyplab Reef Primer (potassium salts) dip on all my corals, haven't had any losses and they open back up super fast. I've been using it pre swap to disintegrate flatworms (red planaria and Euphyllia flatworms) and knock off everything.

Used it on mushrooms too but haven't tried it on macroalgae or anemones.

I use the Polyplab Reef Primer (potassium salts) dip on all my corals, haven't had any losses and they open back up super fast. I've been using it pre swap to disintegrate flatworms (red planaria and Euphyllia flatworms) and knock off everything.

Used it on mushrooms too but haven't tried it on macroalgae or anemones.
I was going through reviews on Reef Primer and decided to buy some since it is on sale. I will use KCl for all hard coral going forward and Reef Primer for softies. I assume I could use a lower potential mix of KCl + longer dip time for softies but I don't want to experiment unnecesserily.

Back