richiev

Supporting Member
Based on an idea I found online, I built out this Hanna curvette mixer:

I'm not sure which of these XKCD's are more relevant:

is_it_worth_the_time_2x.png

or

automation_2x.png

But it makes me happy nevertheless.

If anyone's interested in making one, or getting one, LMK. Probably $10 in parts, ignoring all the ESP8266 boards I accidentally fried while trying to understand their IO ports.

That's really neat! I just use an AutoAqua micro magnetic stirer. No more shaking for 2 minutes with either machine!

Last edited:
Reactions: JVU
That's really neat! I just use an AutoAqua micro magnetic stirer. No more shaking for 2 minutes with either machine!
Similarly I use the Speed Test from SR Aquastik for testing. I never thought of using it for Hanna vials but the replacement micro stir bars I have fit so I’ll have to try that.

I like the ingenuity of the stirring machine you made @richiev ! And I appreciate the irony of the extra effort it took to find the nice graph and table that document the potential for time wasted on time saving projects.

We use these at work to mix vials or tubes. Just push down and they start to vortex the liquid really fast.
1664303885422.png

But your method is pretty creative!

We use these at work to mix vials or tubes. Just push down and they start to vortex the liquid really fast.
View attachment 42300

But your method is pretty creative!
I love vortex mixers. I miss them from my lab days lol. Only things not as great for reef testing use are you have to hold the vial the whole time so not great for long mixes like the Hanna 2 min, and since the lower part of the tube where the fluid is is moving in a circle it’s harder to see the color change for those types of tests. @Darkxerox Have you tried them for reef testing?

I love vortex mixers. I miss them from my lab days lol. Only things not as great for reef testing use are you have to hold the vial the whole time so not great for long mixes like the Hanna 2 min, and since the lower part of the tube where the fluid is is moving in a circle it’s harder to see the color change for those types of tests. @Darkxerox Have you tried them for reef testing?
Haven't tried it yet. I know they can leave a little residue from the rubber so depending on where the light path is on the cuvette, it potentially could be a problem. But it probably would work well with the phosphate test.

Based on an idea I found online, I built out this Hanna curvette mixer:

I'm not sure which of these XKCD's are more relevant:

is_it_worth_the_time_2x.png

or

automation_2x.png

But it makes me happy nevertheless.

If anyone's interested in making one, or getting one, LMK. Probably $10 in parts, ignoring all the ESP8266 boards I accidentally fried while trying to understand their IO ports.
Add this to the long list of projects I want to get to. Do you have instructions to make this?

Add this to the long list of projects I want to get to. Do you have instructions to make this?
I'll post up the plans I have on GitHub at some point. I based it off another person's design which is out there on one of the forums, but I modified it for the esp boards that are cheap and easily gettable versus $40 Arduino iot boards.

Back