Neptune Aquatics

Have you guys seen this yet?

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=512

Apparently this fixture was impressive enough for the guys at AS to essentially decide to convert to LED.

They are a local company as well.

Thoughts?

LED quantity: 119pcs x 1 Watt LED (71 White + 48 Blue)
$330.

I know what LEDs they aren't and with that, I wouldn't get it.

How are all these companies coming out with LED lighting for aquariums? Did'nt a company patent the idea and drive PFO out of business for selling them?

At that price, I guess it is iffy, but how do u know what the good LEDs are? I want to upgrade my mh lighting but don't want cheap LEDs that are not the right ones

Psychographic said:
How are all these companies coming out with LED lighting for aquariums? Did'nt a company patent the idea and drive PFO out of business for selling them?

Way way way more complicated then that I must say. The patent if for a controllable LED fixture, not one that simply turns on and off.

Thanks Phong, you are making me feel very good now... :D. Keep in mind besides the price of LEDs, even a larger part of the cost goes to materials for heat dissipation for a solidly built (or overbuilt) system. Most of these cheap ones either do not have good heat dissipation, or mostly rely on fan blowing on a very think layer of metal. We all know how temperature affects the life of these LED systems, and we also know how reliable and how quiet the fans are. I would not risk any big money on anything that is not at least somewhat overbuilt, that is why I overbuild my own fixture ;) .

Elite said:
That is cheaper than the little one that Tong made :D .. Wondering what kind of LED bulbs that they use.

Btw, don't be tricked by the picture thinking this is a big unit with many bulbs. Well many bulbs is true, but is is really not far from my "little one": 15.75” x 8.38” x 2.80”. So if you are thinking about this covering your big tank, better have a thick wallet and be used to look at a busy set of light fixtures above the tank, and you probably need to put most of the corals at the top of the tank since the 1w bulb will be penetrate the water too far (especially if the LEDs are not fitted with lens). For a nano tank, it might not be a bad choice if you like the look and trust the quality.

Back