Kessil

Heard of Inter-American Pet Supply (Custom Glass Starfire Tanks)

Inter-American Pet Supply in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Phone: 403-272-4960
Fax: 403-569-0667

Talked to their tank guy. For $1080 they can build a 48x24x24 tank singer external glass over flow, with starfire fronts and sides, eurobraced and with polished edges.

The breakdown is $750 for the tank, $80 Box fee, $250 shipping and it comes with a 5yr waranty.

Seems like they have gotten great reviews from what I can see. No website, just word of mouth they have been building tanks he said for 35yrs.

Some picts I found online:

Came from here:

CRATE.jpg

TANK1.jpg

TANK2.jpg

TANK3.jpg

TANK4.jpg

TANK5.jpg

TANK6.jpg

I'd ask what his warranty covers, last thing you want is a tank falling apart.

Also double check the thickness of the glass he's going to use.

12MM Side, 19MM bottom. Standard waranty against leaks for 5yrs. If it leaks they replace it. They said that have had one 2 waranty issues over the years they have been in business

They can build whatever kind of bracing you want, that one in the pict was a custom order. 100% of their tanks are custom. The sales guy told me just just sold a 700 gallon glass tank to a NYC guy!

I find that hard to believe. Even the best make mistakes. They should have said a few more to make it more believable :lol:

See if they have any "stand stipulations" as far as the warranty goes.

12mm = .472 so not quite 1/2"
19mm = .748 so not quite 3/4"

Seems a bit shy id going with eurobracing.

they said tanks should be placed on metal stands not wood. They said wood stands can warp and stress the tank.

But then again they only sell metal stands :)

Their sales guy is named Ray at 403.605.9429.
The owner Mitch can be hard to deal with hence why they now send people to talk to a regular sales guy. They said the tanks can be built in 3 weeks and one week to deliever to SF.

What do you guys think about external over flows - vs- internal ones?

Also what is the best placement for the returns. They can be put wherever I want. I want to keep this tank for a very long time, so I want to make sure I have it built to be the best.

But does placing it on wood, or not on their stand effect the warranty ;)

GreshamH said:
But does placing it on wood, or not on their stand effect the warranty ;)
And... do you have to use HIS stand to have the warranty valid. I think that's one of Marineland's deep dimension tanks rules!

That said, I'm a sucker for external overflows, returns should be high in the tank though to prevent draining in a power outage. placement of the overflow (regardless of it being in or out) will dictate where your overflows can be.

Mike that is what was implied with my post :lol: but thanks for saying it yet again :p

Emailed trying to get them to email a pict and price of the metal stands. If they are cheap enough may be a cool option. Shouldnt add to much to shipping. So far I think I may go this route with these guys.. just have to talk to the sales guy not Mitch.

If I end up getting a tank from these guys I'll post full details of the transaction and craftmanship of the tank. Ray did say he would work with me on price and try to give me wholesale prices, setting me up as a wholeseller. So if I can get those prices he said I could pass those prices along to you guys if you also wanted to get some more starfire tanks. I think they really want to get their name out in the CA westcoast area. Right now they are more known in the NE and central US.

Inter American is known in Cali :) I know people that have used them in the past.

Correction the company's new name is now "Bow Valley Aquarium"

They changed it when they physically moved the company a while back. "Inter-American Pet Supply" was the old school name for them.

Here's a link about people talking about them.
www.reefland.com/forum/tanks-filtration-basic-equipment/20970-inter-american-pet-supplies-mitch.html

I just found out that this is one of their tanks, you guys have prolly seen this post before.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/totm/index.php

You didn't like the Oceanic 120 tech tanks. A few LFS has them in stock for under $1000. No shipping : )

This tank looks nice too.

One thing they do not mention, or rather, you did not mention, is import duties and fees.

yeah but if I can get a custom tank with 3 sides of starfire for the same price.. I'm going custom :) Not to mention now I can go deeper :)

Maybe 48x30x27, still thinking about this. But it's a nice option to have if it's really the same price. And I dont mind waiting however long it takes.

I started wondering about Oceanic, due to the fact that my co-worker ordered 2 glass 240's and both of them leaked, one causing 10k worth of damage to their house. He said Oceanic was incredibly difficult to deal with. So after the second bum oceanic tank he switched to acrylic.

So just because it's a oceanic doesnt necessarily mean it wont leak :(

Back