Our mission

Help! Long story short: Neptune AFS stopped working and I’m leaving in a couple hours

AFS won’t run and I have to leave in a couple hours for a mission, hoping to be back Sunday. I don’t have a spare unit and my only LFS in time to make it doesn’t have one in stock.

Ask: any suggestions for a fast alternative that can get me through at least 3 or 4 days? I have pellet/flake food usually in the feeder with frozen and freeze dried shrimp that I occasionally supplement.

Not sure if this was the correct place to post or not.

A little more details: the cap fell off the feeder and dumped a ton of food in the aquarium two days ago. Fortunately I had just gotten home after being gone almost two months, so I could attend to it. When trying to reattach the lid I noticed it wasn’t as snug as normal so I’ve been concerned about it falling off again. Yesterday after work, I tried fiddling with it some more and figured it was as good a time as any to clean the salt creep from the unit’s base. Im doing so, I’m pretty sure I unintentionally got (fresh) water in the aqua is ports, which is why it won’t work now. It tried to operate this morning but was very slow and sounded kinda bad. The unit spun twice instead of once and didn’t retract all the way. Apex dashboard will show module not connected and when I plug in the aquabus, the light goes orange, then green, then turns out pretty quickly. So yea, feel like the circuit got fried. I left the thing out all night to dry after wiping it down best I could.

3-4 days shouldn't kill anything. I have a number of autofeeders and they all work fine. Petco likely has one that will work.
Unfortunately I’m at the point where even petco is outside my drive range due to time.

I always plan at least a two day delay when work send me on the road and with the nature of Ukraine/Russia stuff right now, we’re as likely as ever to get picked off to support some other mission.

I know it is a bit of a long shot trying to think of things around home to get me through the period, but I figured asking here was my best option.

Realistically I would hope 3-4 days isn’t the end of the world as you said, I don’t like leaving things up to chance and feel bad as it is. I’d feel terrible if something ended up happening under the circumstances.

Realistically I would hope 3-4 days isn’t the end of the world as you said, I don’t like leaving things up to chance and feel bad as it is. I’d feel terrible if something ended up happening under the circumstances.
Another option is to have a local reefing friend with a key stop by every 3-4 days if the trip extends itself, but realistically, most tanks can be left alone for a week and you just have very hungry fish at the end.

Turn the lights down to minimize metabolism and evaporation and let it ride with a backup plan for a friend to stop by after 5 days would be my suggestion.

I’m in Fairfield. I’ll look into the eheim and some others as backups for the future.

I’ll try turning down the lights, that’s something I never considered before.

Back