High Tide Aquatics

Help tuning skimmer

Neck size needs to be right. Sounds like you could either get a skimmer that’s the right size or try an auto neck cleaner.
Doesn’t make sense to me that you would get dark thick skimmate stuck to the neck but only tea in the cup.
This should still be exporting wastes as long as you clean the neck often.

Odd indeed. I’ll clean it out this weekend but will take a pic once more skimmate accumulates are the top of the cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really think you need to raise the skimmer an inch, even if a bit of a pain.
Zip tie some PVC pipes together for a mini stand.

Definitely clean it well.

I can definitely raise it, dropping is the issue. The manufacturer recommends 7-9.5” and I am right around 7.5. Would you recommend going beyond the 7”? Excuse my ignorance but whats the rationale for raising the skimmer itself when there is enough pressure to get the bubbles to the top as is?

If you tried everything else you could also try to lower your skimmer (run the water height higher than recommended), if possible. I run Skimz SN-143 skimmmers at 10” to 10.5” which is 1” above their max recommended water height (7” to 9.5”). Even with the DC tuning that’s what I had to do to get the right consistency skimmate. IME algae growing inside doesn’t make a difference (unless it attracts snails into the skimmer...)

I can definitely raise it, dropping is the issue. The manufacturer recommends 7-9.5” and I am right around 7.5. Would you recommend going beyond the 7”? Excuse my ignorance but whats the rationale for raising the skimmer itself when there is enough pressure to get the bubbles to the top as is?

Raising the skimmer puts more back pressure on the pump because it has to lift water a bit higher.
That will reduce flow through the pump without affecting bubble height in neck.
That allows for longer dwell time and a bit less air flow.
Since from pictures it really looks like a heavy boil, and you say your skimmer is a bit over sized, I think that might help.

As I understand:

If skimmate is too light:
Lower height of water in neck
Raise height of skimmer.

If too dark:
Raise water in neck
Lower skimmer

The black magic is the whole air control / pump speed / dwell time.
That depends on how clean your tank is, neck size, and so on.
I usually fix the others, then play with those.

Back