got ethical husbandry?

Hi everyone!

If you have a Red Sea, their ATO works flawlessly for me.
Agreed. Just bougt a second one for my nano tank. I am using the first one one the IM 150.

Aug 2, 2024 update: correction, the second ATO is not working properly and I will need to return it, unfortunately.

Last edited:
If you need something small and budget friendly, check out the micro ato's at Aquatic Collection. My experience with them over the years has been all good. I probably cleaned the sensor 1-3 times a year but I also do not have light hitting the sensor. I do not light my sump.

Recently I starting using the new Tunze ATO. It is too soon for me to claim the Tunze is any better than the micro on my system. ATOs have never given me any trouble. Maybe just lucky or maybe because I replaced the micro every few years rather than letting them run until they fail.
auto top off.com
They are on vacation until early August. I am envious. lol. Will keep this in mind for the next ATO purchase though. Nice pricing.

1721168462463.png

I would go not cheap on an ato. Just my opinion. Failure can cause not only tank crash but probably water damage in your house.

I have good luck with tunze in the last 3 years.

I personally love my Tunze Nano on my 15g IM AIO.
One factor that I haven't seen discussed with most ATOs is noise level. Because I've got a tank in my bedroom I prefer to have an optical ato that's got a quieter pump than the Tunze nano, but I will say the Tunze float sensor is more accurate than the optical sensors I've used with "cheaper" ATOs.

Anecdotally, of the brands I've used

Optical: MostAqua opitcal sensor at 3 years old holding up as good as day one, no pump issues either; AutoAqua is the least accurate of the brands I own, somehow the optical sensor "flipped" itself and it fills only to the bottom sensor once it cannot read the water level. Magtool optical sensor is so so? Its calibration is the worst of them all and often overfills unless your reservoir line is feeding directly next to to the optical sensor, otherwise it seems to overfill the 10g tank its on.

Float:
Tunze nano is awesome, it's just super frickin loud when it actuates. For that reason alone, it does not get to enter my bedroom and only exists in the living room/dining room.
I have a Tunze 3155 I've not used but I can imagine it SHOULD function similarly to the nano, just for tanks larger than I own.

Back