Our mission

Hi New Sucker from East Bay

Tank has arrived! The adventure starts!
LOL.... Have an Asia business trip in Feb just scheduled today.
I will cycle until back home late Feb or ask wife if she can help. Good women are hard to find.

Question: My RODI unit has not arrived. Should I buy LFS salt water or RODI and mix myself? I have already mapped my RODI just waiting for delivery.

Tank has arrived! The adventure starts!
LOL.... Have an Asia business trip in Feb just scheduled today.
I will cycle until back home late Feb or ask wife if she can help. Good women are hard to find.

Question: My RODI unit has not arrived. Should I buy LFS salt water or RODI and mix myself? I have already mapped my RODI just waiting for delivery.
I would just get salt water from LFS to cycle with.

Red Sea sticks the top part of the cabinet inside the tank box but puts all other pieces in a separate box. I opened and started to put the cabinet together and realized the top part is missing. Called my store and they told me its put in the tank box to protect the bottom side of the tank. :)

I'd just put ro in the tank then add salt and mix in place. Will be cheaper and don't need a bunch of jugs or trips to the lfs.
I agree, especially if you’re cycling the tank through Feb. I’ve always filled with RO and added salt with an extra power head or 2. No heater for the first couple hours.
Cycling through Feb isn’t necessary in my opinion either. I’d throw some microbacter kickstart and live rock from an established system in with a fish or 2 and it’s fully cycled in 5-10 days. Then do a 20% water change and add a little more microbacter. I’ve done this with several tanks (5gal-225gal tanks) with great success.

Ok, Tank setup Aquascape done. Need to decide on sand and taking it slow and enjoying the process. A lot of travel is coming up for me so let’s see what happens.

Attachments

• C21A4851-3EF9-4BFD-BFE1-3B2B53835286.jpeg
    C21A4851-3EF9-4BFD-BFE1-3B2B53835286.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 116D6423-B9FB-4E66-BA38-605C3F9F408F.jpeg
    116D6423-B9FB-4E66-BA38-605C3F9F408F.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 95
Ok, Tank setup Aquascape done. Need to decide on sand and taking it slow and enjoying the process. A lot of travel is coming up for me so let’s see what happens.
Do you have a pic from the side? One of my biggest regrets in my 2nd scape was putting rock up above that shades the scape below. It really limited what coral I could place on the rockwork. From the front the top rock looks like it will throw quite a bit of shade.

Yes, ok?

Attachments

• D4A2C09B-A123-471C-9E8C-AE10F54EB7F5.jpeg
    D4A2C09B-A123-471C-9E8C-AE10F54EB7F5.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 76
  • C7D88D86-2DC8-4ED5-ACDA-0CB74C597DB3.jpeg
    C7D88D86-2DC8-4ED5-ACDA-0CB74C597DB3.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 78464989-DF05-42F7-B0EF-B511DF2F5BB2.jpeg
    78464989-DF05-42F7-B0EF-B511DF2F5BB2.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 77
Thank you for the pics.

I do like the look of the scape and it’s obvious you put some work, thought, and care into it so I really don’t want to make suggestions that completely tear down the work you’ve put in. Scapes are personal. My only intent is to be helpful so feel free to disregard my suggestions if they don't fit your plan. :)

If the scape is slanted up from the bottom front to the top rear you’ll have more places to attach coral so they can get good light as well as flow. It looks like the scape is mortared together already so the easiest adjustment to that end would be to remove the top rock and reattach it about 3-4 more inches towards the rear of the tank. Some small pieces of rock might be needed to provide support in the rear. If you don't have the rock needed to do this you're welcome to grab some pieces out of my buckets. I also have leftover glue hanging around.

With my 75g I realized these issues in my own scape too late and went in with a saw, hammer and chisel to break rock off parts of the structure. Gently, but it was messy, kind of dangerous in a glass tank, and a real pita.

D4A2C09B-A123-471C-9E8C-AE10F54EB7F5.jpeg

Not sure if others agree with me on this but would it be better to put taller structures on the right and left and lower rocks or arches in the middle? Given how single lights are much stronger in the middle of the tank and weaker on the sides. Would give more even PAR spread across the rocks.

I think removing the top rock like @Da_Neefer said would work great to accomplish this. Maybe have that rock on the base or in the sump if there's no room?

Not sure if others agree with me on this but would it be better to put taller structures on the right and left and lower rocks or arches in the middle? Given how single lights are much stronger in the middle of the tank and weaker on the sides. Would give more even PAR spread across the rocks.

I think removing the top rock like @Da_Neefer said would work great to accomplish this. Maybe have that rock on the base or in the sump if there's no room?

Moving the top rock back here would help quite a bit. If this were my scape I'd break the top rock in half or thirds to create 2-3 platforms (or wings) branching off that central smaller rock. This would double or triple the real estate for high par coral.

I agree with the suggestions that the scape is too vertical. Will be hard to place corals in the mid tank.

Looks nice from the front though

I see what your saying....but I did my best cement work on that piece. :) Here is a better picture top down.

Attachments

• 58458348-49E3-4DC2-9BBB-59DCA8595508.jpeg
    58458348-49E3-4DC2-9BBB-59DCA8595508.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 67
  • E1C7B0B7-E1AE-4D30-8052-E6D3A959F53D.jpeg
    E1C7B0B7-E1AE-4D30-8052-E6D3A959F53D.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 79
I understand...rookie move. I will see how I can break apart> I was so proud of the scape and wanted to use all the pieces. :)
appreciate you all an hopefully this thread helps the next new person.

I understand...rookie move. I will see how I can break apart> I was so proud of the scape and wanted to use all the pieces. :)
appreciate you all an hopefully this thread helps the next new person.
I say if you like it see how it works out for you. I think it looks cool. Other people may be right about shadowing, but not all corals need to be blasted with light. It will depend on what you like to keep coral wise. You can always change it later if you want to after giving it a try.
You could also fill it up and check how much light different spots get with the par meter before breaking it apart

I have decided to keep as is. I tried breaking it apart but I did very good work. I will distribute the coral accordingly based on light requirements.
@Coral reefer I would love the sand and was going to ordering the same so let me know how I can come get some. Thanks!

Update...
Plumber installed the RODI and works great. I bought 4 of those Jugs thinking I would buy water from LFS but decided I want my own water Working out the water change game plan and think I got it down. Will use jug 1 for my fill-RODI and jug 2 & 3 ready with RODI and jug 4 for my eventual ATO container. Sand arriving Sat and I keep admiring my scape but now decisions....

*Dec-18 to 20 wife and I will be watching our son play in the Famous Potato Bowl in Boise. Go Spartans! #92!. Told him I deserve a sack since I'm delaying my tank for him ;)
*Dec 23-25th in LA
*Feb3 to 24 to Asia for business ( Wife will be around)
Don't want to mess with a ATO and don't want to come back with a mess so I think right after Xmas is when I am filling. I will also cycle until my arrival from Asia ( Can I bring back Coral in my carry on?)

Back