Our mission

HOB Overflow Question

Marc

Most HOB overflow setups I see use a TOMS lifter to keep the air out the chamber and keep the siphon going. Is it possible to run the tubing to a return pump that has a venturi nipple instead of the TOMS lifter?

I'm thinking about running a holding tank in the garage so i'm not too concerned with spills. But really, this is more for conversation...

If you use a well-made HOB overflow like the LifeReef HOB overflow, you won't need to worry about siphon breaks or using an air pump. I've been using one for the last year without a single issue, and with the silencer accessory there's no gurgling. I'll actually be selling it once I upgrade to my new tank with built-in overflows this week, if you're interested. I have the nano version for up to 400gph.

@urabggr Thank you for the offer. Ive got a CPR one thats been in the garage that I will be using. Ive see the lifereef on the website - will it regain syphon if the power goeas out?

@Coral reefer I'll give it a shot - only problem I could imagine would be debris clogging up the hole.

I avoid those hang on overflow boxes as much as possible.

Gotta watch out for that debris and air build up. Not something I want to take a chance on as a renter of an apartment on the second floor.

Back