got ethical husbandry?

Home Made Frag tank ~ 60 gallons

Beanju

Supporting Member
back in February I had an issue with my main tank and I lost 70% of my corals + few fishes. I almost gave up to be honest and I am slowly recovering from it ( but a product in the tank that ended being bad , had to change 80% of water over night, huge parameter swing etc etc. ) Seeing the tank almost empty every just broke my heart.
So I decided I needed a plan B in case something similar happens, and also what if it happens to someone else ?
I made up my mind, let's get a frag tank, and also dedicate 1/4 of the frag tank to a bootstrap coral kit in case other people on this forum get a similar problem, so they don't have to see their tank empty for month.

I initially wanted a low boy, but really hard to find so I ended buying wood, acrylic sheet and a sump and build everything.
You will see on the photos different step of the process. I am happy with the result, I learned a lot along the way.
The tank is currently cycling and I am excited to see life in it.

Attachments

• IMG_3609.jpg
    IMG_3609.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3608.jpg
    IMG_3608.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3580.jpg
    IMG_3580.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3479.jpg
    IMG_3479.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3478.jpg
    IMG_3478.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3403.JPG
    IMG_3403.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3402.jpg
    IMG_3402.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3401.jpg
    IMG_3401.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3386.jpg
    IMG_3386.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3385.jpg
    IMG_3385.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 127
When it cycles, hit me up and we can get you a frag of everything to grow out. Sweet cad. I have never used sketchup, is it at all like solidworks?

I find it a lot easier than solid works, it's more limited to, you can't do as much, I am trying to learn fusion360 but learning curve hit me every time I try :)

When it cycles, hit me up and we can get you a frag of everything to grow out. Sweet cad. I have never used sketchup, is it at all like solidworks?
SketchUp is really dumbed down in comparison, but much quicker to rough out initial ideas for later export into something else. Tools are much easier for a DIY person to get a handle on vs the engineering approach of other software. I always start in SketchUp and send that file to a engineer/designer to take the next level.

Free version is online now which has a model complexity limit as a browser can only handle so much, but I can mess with model on an iPad at the pool so it’s got its place. Viewing with clients on an iPad is pretty great too.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to make the tank? Always thought of trying my hand at building one but it seems like it can be easy to foul up.

Acrylic around $300
Wood around $200
I haven’t done the math but total is around $550 ( with hardware ( drawer, the light ramp with t slot aluminum , plumbing ))
I have a small wood shop so I already had all the tools
Used my cnc to do the overflow , so perfect fit and could do the exact flow I wanted
I am really happy with the result
I can’t wait to have the opportunity to build an other one

Back