Our mission

How to get yellow banded possum wrasse to eat?

Hi all!
I picked up a yellow banded possum wrasse for my tank as I have given up on pink streak wrasses (I am 0 for 3 from different LFSs). The little guy was not acting well the first day but he is now swimming around and picking at my rocks. I have tried feeding frozen baby brine, algae enriched brine, LRS reef frenzy nano, and frozen mysis all without luck. I bought 64oz of mixed copepods that arrived today but he is not going into a feeding frenzy like I assumed. He doesn't seem super skinny but also he is certainly not thick like the rest of my fish.
My other copepod only pygmy geometric perchlet eventually ate algae enriched brine shrimp after a few weeks of only eating copepods. Do I just need to wait it out?
Any ideas on getting this fish to eat?

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:
Take the pods and pod juice and freeze them with some other foods that your trying to feed. If you don’t think they will stick to each other. You can add a product called focus. This will get the fish to eat both. Hopefully for a smoother transition. Good luck.

What was it eating at the LFS?
To be completely transparent, I have never verified that any of my fish eat at the LFS. I usually just bring them home and pray a variety of foods will entice them.
I forgot to mention that the copepods I am feeding are live. I also tried crushing up RN TDO pellets without luck.

This the same wrasse last month?don’t know how often you feed? but may want to not feed the tank for a couple days then then feed to trigger a mass frenzy with the other fish sometimes that helps.. plus a mix of pellets like Thera A smalls with garlic or others/ black worms and see which ones he/ she goes for a good flake food also just try them all.. I’ve had fish that don’t like TDO but love Thera A or spurlina flake..Do you have any small bristle worm populations? Sometimes that works as well.
Best of luck
Paul

This the same wrasse last month?don’t know how often you feed? but may want to not feed the tank for a couple days then then feed to trigger a mass frenzy with the other fish sometimes that helps.. plus a mix of pellets like Thera A smalls with garlic or others/ black worms and see which ones he/ she goes for a good flake food also just try them all.. I’ve had fish that don’t like TDO but love Thera A or spurlina flake..Do you have any small bristle worm populations? Sometimes that works as well.
Best of luck
Paul
Different wrasse species, I mentioned above that I have given up on pink streak wrasses. The fish just started picking at copepods! I may be in luck! (Albeit at $100/month in food)
I feed frozen and pellets once a day.

Hi all!
I picked up a yellow banded pygmy wrasse for my tank as I have given up on pink streak wrasses (I am 0 for 3 from different LFSs). The little guy was not acting well the first day but he is now swimming around and picking at my rocks. I have tried feeding frozen baby brine, algae enriched brine, LRS reef frenzy nano, and frozen mysis all without luck. I bought 64oz of mixed copepods that arrived today but he is not going into a feeding frenzy like I assumed. He doesn't seem super skinny but also he is certainly not thick like the rest of my fish.
My other copepod only pygmy geometric perchlet eventually ate algae enriched brine shrimp after a few weeks of only eating copepods. Do I just need to wait it out?
Any ideas on getting this fish to eat?

Thanks in advanced!

Do you have the ability to hatch live brine shrimp in the meantime?

Possum wrasses are kind of weirdos in my experience and sometimes seem like they're not doing okay even if they are fine. They also sometimes take a few days before they are comfortable enough to eat. How long have you had it?

The ones I have had like to slink around and eat in the dark, so it may be worth trying to feed some food under overhangs or into caves with a pipette. Or feed as your lights are dimming to start.

Do you have the ability to hatch live brine shrimp in the meantime?

Possum wrasses are kind of weirdos in my experience and sometimes seem like they're not doing okay even if they are fine. They also sometimes take a few days before they are comfortable enough to eat. How long have you had it?

The ones I have had like to slink around and eat in the dark, so it may be worth trying to feed some food under overhangs or into caves with a pipette. Or feed as your lights are dimming to start.
I can purchase live brine to keep him alive but I dont really want to hatch them ATM unless required. I bought him on Saturday. I will try feeding at simulated dusk.

Mine likes mysis, brine shrimp, plankton. He was very shy at first. Wouldn’t come out to eat until I walked away from the tank. He was also intimidated by the other fish. It took a while for him to come out with the others to feed and he is still the last to show up and eat. Don’t know if this helps but this was my experience.

Gerry

Back