Kessil

How to separate PVC fitting?

Good morning everyone
I need help with what's the best way I can save this fitting. What tool can I use to make the cut between the two fitting?(I am guessing saw?) looked online and couldn't find any information on how to separate the two fitting.

Also does anyone know what the black fitting is called that connects to red sea reefer drain/return pipes?
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20220113_094858__01.jpg
    IMG_20220113_094858__01.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 135
I also looked at red sea website they only sell the whole thing including pipe glued together and I want to make a manifold out of this.

I'm very scared to twist it out because the black fitting looks very thin, I feel like I will break it if I try.

Attachments

• IMG_20220113_101337.jpg
    IMG_20220113_101337.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
To me it looks like the bottom black part is screwed into the upper grey pipe sections.
I see threads on the black part.
And yes, the grey part has wrench flats.

But the grey sections look glued together. The gap is too small to be screw in.
I see a "3/4" on there, so that does imply it is all standard plumbing.

You should try to unscrew it by hand first, no tools. That should be pretty safe.
The problem is that pvc-pvc screw in joints really tend to stick unless you put silicon or teflon tape in there before assembly.
You could try heating the grey part by pouring boiling water on it. That will expand and soften it.

I've separated PVC fittings in the past. Cut with a hacksaw and two methods I experimented with.
There are tools on the market to remove the inner pipe glued to the fitting; I have a couple of them for 3/4 and 1" pipe. These are simple and do an OK job. there are expensive ones available too but VS price of fittings, is not a smart choice unless necessary...
Second, once I have the fitting, I set it on a vice and using a hacksaw, cut the inner pipe in two or three spots very close to the fitting ID then using a heat gun, carefully pry the pipe away from the fitting. It has worked for me but as I mention, effort vs price of fittings...
PASCO is the maker/brand of the PVC pipe remover, it comes in different sizes.

Thanks Mario, thats a good idea. I was able to remove the black plastic part, hopefully I didn't crack it, it was on very tight and I heard some unpleasant noise while taking it off haha. Only time will tell now.

Back