Cali Kid Corals

I need to vent

Hmmm... some one needs to kick the machine then

CS would tell you to turn it off and unplug it for 2 minutes. Did that help? No? OK, next line.....

rygh said:
JAR said:
Hey Mark, BTW I like that fish you have for your avatar!
Do you have an extra one of those fish I could have? :D
Thanks. Nope, just have the one. Standard Ocellaris Clownfish, tank bred, bought at LFS.
Just a bit lighter color than normal.

I have a clownfish!
Poletti, what say you?

I hear you: I may be guilty, as you passed on a Sexy Mycedium to me at a monthly meeting last March-2010, but I did not put it on the dbtc page. Here is a before and after.

Before: Sexy
IMG_5764.jpg

After: Even Sexier

IMG_0125.jpg

PLMK where I should post the corals you've past along to me..... I appreciate the frags you brought over to start my 100g off right. PLMK how or if I should post those pieces as well. I've documented all the corals I rec'd at either Swaps, DBTC, or members who handed off frags to me on my journal page with before and after photos chronicled.

Thx for everything.

Here is another good DBTC tip for newbies. Can't speak for everyone, but this is what gets my ire up the most.

Don't be shy in asking for a coral, but in the same context, do not ask for every DBTC offering that comes up. Also read the givers requirements and/or parameters.

I know it can be very exciting when you first see the glut of corals that can be available but I will say from my perspective, when I see the same people jumping on every single coral, they will be the last ones I ever "pick a number" from. FWIW, I do realize that from the early going it is going to be way more get then give, but try to make a real attempt to return even 1 coral as soon as you can. That track record will give people much more confidence in your ability to be able to keep some more difficult and/or desirable corals. Again from my perspective, if I have a fairly uncommon coral, my goal is to ensure its survival. Thus it is very likely I am going to be way more choosey with whom I give it to and I usually look for something that makes a person stand out from the rest (do I have firsthand knowledge of their ability to keep the coral, do they have a tank thread where I can see how their tank is doing and if it would be a good fit, have they sucessfully returned any corals at all, etc etc.). For more common stuff, I pretty much go on a first come first served basis.

I think we need to clearly separate the problems.

1) The problem that new people do not really understand the details of how it works.
Yes, this was not really the original point of the thread. But it took on a life of its own.
As to that, it might be worth considering adding some more information
on "standard practices", or even just a very obvious page on "hints and tips."
Even for those that carefully read various pages and forums it can be difficult to understand.
The result = lack of tracking + scaring people off from joining.

2) The rules and decisions on who gets a coral and who does not.
This is where I agree that rules and regulations can be a problem, and it
should totally be up to the person giving the coral.
But you could put in the "hints and tips" ideas like clearly designating "advanced", "restricted",
or "open" if it is common or third generation.

3) General greed and flakiness
The original point of the thread. Not sure what to do there. Word usually gets around though,
and it often solves itself.

ryanjiang said:
Good advices Bryan!
+1 !!!
So lets put that advice somewhere easy to find.
It will be basically lost and forgotten in just 1-2 days if it is only on page 6 of a thread called "I need to vent".
:(

rygh said:

1) The problem that new people do not really understand the details of how it works.
Yes, this was not really the original point of the thread. But it took on a life of its own.
Even for those that carefully read various pages and forums it can be difficult to understand.

What you mention is already written up in the "What is DBTC" blurb.

rygh said:
2) The rules and decisions on who gets a coral and who does not.
This is where I agree that rules and regulations can be a problem, and it
should totally be up to the person giving the coral.
But you could put in the "hints and tips" ideas like clearly designating "advanced", "restricted",
or "open" if it is common or third generation.

It is up to the giver, yes, that is also covered in the "What is DBTC" blurb.

rygh said:
3) General greed and flakiness
The original point of the thread. Not sure what to do there. Word usually gets around though,
and it often solves itself.

Greed had nothing to do with the OP, just simple lack of follow up, that's all.

tuberider said:
rygh said:

What you mention is already written up in the "What is DBTC" blurb.

Well, all I can say is to read back through this thread.
I and other new members were confused on the details.
Not horribly lost. It is not like it is "bad" or anything. My posts often come on too strong.
Just trying to improve it.

Back