Jestersix

I'm baaaaack!

Not sure if anyone remembers me or not (doesn't matter, I s'pose!), but I'm a "Returning Newbie!" (I did attend a frag-swap at Neptune's, back in '10. I brought the cupcakes that were *supposed* to look like anemones!!!)

Annnnnywaaaaayyy... I used to keep a nano-reef tank, about a million years before "nano-reefs" even existed (Okay, back in the early 80's ;-)

Then, hubs bought me a Bio-Cube 14 for Christmas back in 2009. I did a "halfway decent" job of getting that up and running. I even got a few frags from members of this board (THANKS!!!)...

But then... Well... LIFE kinda got in the way! My mom got sick, hospitalized, yada-yada, and (sadly) she ultimately passed-away. Ironically, part of the reason for me even getting back into fish/reef-keeping was to "reduce my stress levels" (and it DID work - up to a point!).

Anyway, fast-forward a couple of years, and my poor Biocube had turned into Algae-Soup. I killed all of my inverts (hell, I killed a GSP!!! That takes "talent" right???) - and I even killed some of my "hardy fish" (including Wilbur, my beloved Yellow Watchman Goby)- and I was damn-close to posting a "Come and Get It" listing on Freecycle!

But not before I *attempted* to clean it up myself. I had ZERO luck with that ("One step forward, two steps back!"). It was incredibly frustrating!

I ended up hiring a "Service" to come and clean-up (and now "maintain") my tank. It was spendy, but I'm happy to report that the tank is back in-line (even though I managed to kill their Sea-Hare - that, BTW, did a phenomenal job of eating *most* of the hair algae!).

Anyhooo, I think I'm about ready to embark on adding more soft-corals to the mix...

I will say that I'm not looking to BAR to "stock" my tank. In fact, I'm feeling incredibly guilty for killing the stuff that I *did* get from the group! But I do want to go back to "lurking" on the boards and I'll probably hit Neptune's in Milpitas to start re-stocking my tank and - when I have stuff to offer, I want to "give back" before I "take" again! (Gotta keep the Karma balanced and all of that!).

I'm looking forward to getting back into the boards/posts/yada-yada and benefiting from the "collective knowledge" of this group.

Right now, I'm running a FOWLR Biocube 14. I have a large-ish yellowtail Clownfish and a rather large Hermit Crab - along with some of my original "cleaner-crew" (tiny hermit crabs). I hope to add a few more inverts to add "interest" to the tank - although the crab and clown do have a tendency to wreak havoc on the tank (knocking rocks over and stirring up the sand)...

Anyway, thanks for having me back! Looking forward to learning tons from all of you!!!

-Nan

Back