Reef nutrition

Infected finger

Thales

Past President
Hey guys,

Last week I got nabbed on my index and middle finger of my right hand by a bristle worm. No biggie, happens all the time. Two days later my finger swells up and is very, very painful. Antibiotics away. Everything seems good. Yesterday, swells again, an onto new antibiotics. Yay! :D

I think they got me couple times too. Lucky my finger only swell up a little bit. It was very iching. I didn't use any med though :D ...

Gloves smuvs :D Rich needs to toughen up a bit. IMO head needs to open it up and shove some garlic in it :lol: Then dress it with ginger ;)

A good way to remove the bristles is to smear some elmers glue on your finger and then let it dry. When you peel it off the bristles will come out of the skin.

It's the same with catctus as well, elmers is great :D Doesn't work for infections though ;)

I felt like I got stung by something while I was putting my LR (un-cured walt smith fiji) in for the first time, then again when I pulled the rock to put in the sand bed.. felt like tiny cactus needles in my skin on my hands in a couple spots.. they hurt for about 24 hours.. well, I could feel the "spike" feeling for 24 hours.. not really in pain per say.. maybe some stray bristle worm "bristles" ?? is that possible? I handled the rock really carefully and didn't see any bristle worms.. I got stung (not badly) by jelly fish larvae while snorkeling in Belize this summer.. I couldn't see it, but I sure felt it. could it be some type of larvae in the tank??

well, hope your hand is better!!

Hard to say, sponges can cause that feleing as well, but it probably was just bristles from a worm. They can definitly shed them when they die, and they'll "stick" around for quite a while.

Yeah, Fireworms can be nasty critters as well as bristleworms in the sense of the sting.

Yeah, I was removing rocks around last month, and pulled out my index finger - it was completely covered in white furry bristles - cute (Not). The fireworm was at least six inches long, and apparently had a companion of not more than four inches.

As much as bristleworms are supposed to be good in your tank. I found another one hidden in a hole in the rock. I couldn't get it out, so I left it under the waste water of the ro/di, and then let the rock dry out. I was a little mad.

It was a good thing there was a bleack solution sitting in the laundry sink, cuz I would have died if I tried to get the child-safety lock off of the bleach bottle. I stuck my finger in the bleach solution, and swished my finger around and washed the affected finger with soap and water.

It was swollen for two weeks.

I've notice that some dead corals on completely dried live rock (ie an acropora/base rock) would leave little splinters in my finger that are a pain in the butt to remove (mostly because they aren't dark colored).

Back