Reef nutrition

Inkbird temperature controller setting

fishy408

Supporting Member
Temperature default is 77. CD and HD is 3F. I would think that the cooling wouldn’t turn on until temp reaches 77F.

Temp controller is cooling at 77.7, what am I doing wrong?

2E8B56BE-B139-4A4F-88F6-474AD4012839.jpeg
4D2E7A35-BEDC-4266-B757-A77F2104966E.jpeg

With the settings you mentioned (which are the default settings), it will turn on heating at 74F or lower then turn that off at 77F, and will turn on cooling at 80F or higher, and turn that off at 77F.

So with the behavior you described, it probably was 80F or higher at some point, and the cooling is staying on until it gets to 77F or lower. If you unplug/replug it it will reset and turn off the cooling.

Those settings are bit of a large temp swing, keeping temp between 74F-80F. I recommend decreasing the HD and CD values, probably to their lowest value of 1. If you kept the TS at 77F, then this would turn on heating at 76F or lower (to be turned off at 77F or higher), and turn on cooling at 78F or higher (to be turned off at 77F or lower). So in other words will keep your tank between 76F and 78F if you have both heating and cooling devices plugged in.

1648339217873.png

With the settings you mentioned (which are the default settings), it will turn on heating at 74F or lower then turn that off at 77F, and will turn on cooling at 80F or higher, and turn that off at 77F.

So with the behavior you described, it probably was 80F or higher at some point, and the cooling is staying on until it gets to 77F or lower. If you unplug/replug it it will reset and turn off the cooling.

Those settings are bit of a large temp swing, keeping temp between 74F-80F. I recommend decreasing the HD and CD values, probably to their lowest value of 1. If you kept the TS at 77F, then this would turn on heating at 76F or lower (to be turned off at 77F or higher), and turn on cooling at 78F or higher (to be turned off at 77F or lower). So in other words will keep your tank between 76F and 78F if you have both heating and cooling devices plugged in.

View attachment 36725

That's the way I thought it worked. Even if I set the SV temperature to 78 and the cooling temp to 2 or 1 it doesn't seem to matter much. When the temperature falls below 78 the heat outlet is on, and above 78 the cooling outlet is on. There isn't a time when it sits idle. I initially thought it was a defective unit, but now I'm on the 2nd one with the same behavior.

I have 7 of these in use and as far as I know they all work as expected, they way I described.

If you set:
SV=77
HD=3
CD=3

Then unplug the unit, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in (to reset from a previous cool/heat mode- important). If your ambient temperature PV is reading 74.1-79.9, then both heating and cooling should be off.

I guess I’d have to play with it be able to give any more useful info though.

In these two images. Temp is set to 78. current tank temp is 78.8. Cooling back temp is 2F. Controller shouldn’t start cooling until the temp hits 80. Feels like I am overlooking something, but can’t figure out what.

AC14E2EE-5AC4-4EB7-B9FC-58ABED1C5D75.png
1D59F12F-84C8-415B-AC3C-88144E936582.png

I have 7 of these in use and as far as I know they all work as expected, they way I described.

If you set:
SV=77
HD=3
CD=3

Then unplug the unit, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in (to reset from a previous cool/heat mode- important). If your ambient temperature PV is reading 74.1-79.9, then both heating and cooling should be off.

I guess I’d have to play with it be able to give any more useful info though.

Last edited:
Maybe I am misconfiguring it. I would like it to not power on the cooling until temp hits 80 and dont turn on the heater until temp reads 76.

I use to approve/reject technical writer product documentation in my previous life. I would have rejected this manual. lol.

Back