Cali Kid Corals

Introducing: The weeds tank

Corallus

Supporting Member
I've had this setup for a little over 2 years, and figured it was time to get around to posting a little about it.
Weeds.jpg

It's an IM Nuvo Black 30gal long, with one of those miserable Eshopps Eclipse overflows (terrible piece of equipment). I originally picked this up with the intent of plumbing it as a display refugium for my main tank. Due to a couple of poor assumptions and lack of proper planning, after getting it, I realized there was really no way for me to make the plumbing work. So, it turned into it's own system that I planned to be low maintenance, where I could keep stuff I thought was pretty, but didn't want to have take over in my main system. It started with a 10 gallon tank as a sump on the floor (I know, one of many terrible ideas) only filtered using a good 'fuge light and chaeto , and a pair of Kessil A160's. Later, I decided an acrylic sump would be better and picked up a Trigger system Crystal. Then I found a deal on a used A360, and then another good used one so the 160's were upgraded.

So here it is, filtered only with chaeto (no skimmer), not dosed with anything, and water changes are done with water from my main tank... I've only very recently been able to detect nitrates (1 ppm per salifert). Right now, there are 7 bubble tip 'nems, a coral banded shrimp, 5 green chromes, 1 blue reef chromis, 2 yellow tail damsels and a pair of gold bar maroon clowns. In a 30 gal tank. Yes, I know, terrible idea.

Clowns.jpg

Chromis.jpg

Weeds Zoas.jpg

The main reason I'm posting this is, today, I'm going to start taking it down. It's going to be replaced with an Advanced Acrylics all-in-one with basically the same volume. I'm also moving the herd of chromis to my main tank where they'll have some room. I've really enjoyed this little setup, but the combination of the crappy overflow, and sump sitting directly on the floor, is just more risk and hassle than I want think about. Especially because I've gone back to traveling frequently for work.

I'll take pics of the process to document.

So what's the filtration direction going to look like? I mean you can't do the chaeto with an AIO tank, and usually they have skimmer issues too.

That said, yeah one of my easiest tanks was all "weedy" tank, 6 months later still no water change, tank water looked great, no algae, soft corals just out compete everything.

Thanks for the kind words! I know the revamp won't look as nice as the original for while, but hopefully it won't be too long...

What is the giant thing top center?
It's a big ol' yellow nepthea or sinularia (don't know how to tell them apart?). If you want some, let me know, happy to cut off a piece for you!

And here we are a week later, things seem to be pretty well settled in and the ugly brown algae hasn't started growing yet...

NewWeedFront.jpg

The main thing I wanted to thin out were the green fuzzy 'shrooms. Those are a bit weedy even for the weeds tank :D
I added a remora skimmer, and I'm trying out the small 'fuge in the back. Surprising amount of space in the AIO filter section in the back, but I'm definitely missing the sump. Also took the chance to add a third Kessil 350 because I wasn't using it.

NewWeedsTop.jpg

Current occupants: Pair of gold bar maroons, 6 line wrasse, yellow tail damsel, watchman goby and coral banded shrimp.

I think I can officially say I have a spawning pair of gold bar maroon clowns:oops:
A39BFF07-E7D5-4528-B272-DF0EE243FA6D.jpeg

Almost impossible to see in the pic, but the little red spots just above her head are eggs. Were more yesterday. Tried uploading a video that shows them way better, but I guess we can’t do that. With the whole lockdown thing going on, am almost thinking it would be interesting to try actually breeding them and raising the eggs. I’ve read maroons are a little more difficult than occelaris though. And those sound like a lot of work...

Back