Kessil

It finally happened :(

Expensive solution to a drinking problem:

Bucket head from Home Depot is like 20-30$ and connects to a regular 5gal bucket and includes a float valve shut off

Bucket head from Home Depot is like 20-30$ and connects to a regular 5gal bucket and includes a float valve shut off
Those are great for cleaning out the last inch or so of your sump. I use a utility pump to get that loan then use my shop vac to clean the rest. I do this once a year.

I didnt know those things had a float valve shut off. I always thought, "How do I tell when the 5 gallon bucket is full?!" Was afraid it would be a quick way to flood my floor.

I got a python water changer with the thumb switch ball valve. Shut it off, lift tube to fill hose, refill tube, open valve, siphon on. Being able to use that to start the siphon and to regulate the flow has been a game changer. Along with the 50' hose to drain directly to my utility sink.

Is the water really that bad? I've sucked a bit a water a couple times over the many years of reefing and it just tastes like the ocean. It's kinda like when going diving; water is going to get in your mouth no mater what.
Only thing is we don't swallow when diving. :p

Is the water really that bad? I've sucked a bit a water a couple times over the many years of reefing and it just tastes like the ocean. It's kinda like when going diving; water is going to get in your mouth no mater what.

Yeah it was gross. on a positive note, I went and got ice cream to remove the taste.

I didnt know those things had a float valve shut off. I always thought, "How do I tell when the 5 gallon bucket is full?!" Was afraid it would be a quick way to flood my floor.
It usually starts shooting water out the air outlet anyway. I thought the bucket head was pretty useless due to the small container size. It's more like 3 gallons before it shuts off. I use a 16 gallon shop vac to clean the sump instead.

Last edited:
It usually starts shooting water out the air outlet anyway. I thought it was pretty useless due to the small container size. I use a 16 gallon shop vac to clean the sump instead.
Yep you gotta be careful with it, for a smaller sump it’s great for the last bit that can’t get taken out with a siphon. I think putting it over a white bucket may help to watch the level as well

I'd imagine the dirty gunk/etc is a bit more concentrated in a reef tank than out in the ocean. My major concern (which doesn't stop me from mouth-siphoning) is the possibility of palytoxin/other dirty crap getting into any potential open wound in my mouth.

Back