Kessil

Jeff's Upgrade to DSA 105

I will finish my stand today. Stupid Lowes on bayshore--1 mile from the house and their panel saw is broken. Used HD pocket screws and lag bolts to the wall. Colors will be THE Ohio State University scarlet and grey. Top and door rails and stiles grey. Door panels will be scarlet with the Block O decal. Skin will be scarlet.

8 feet wide, 40" tall, and 30" deep. Finally learned my lesson from my first stand and made it tall enough to work on the sump and plumbing!

Will receive the tank on Feb 2nd from CD Happy. I ordered another 11 pounds of Marco rocks from BRS. Disappointed Marco doesn't direct ship anymore.

Needs:
Add one more Kessil 360
Mount kessils with rigid conduit and wires
Apex!!
Additional MP-40 or gyre...Bruce and Ashburn are tempting me

Photos later today...if I can figure out how to post them!

i wanted it to look like a built in. Will also hold my QT and possibly a frag tank

Also, Need somewhere to store all the fish equipment, testers, etc. I don't have a garage

Are you going to feel nostalgic and put a bit of green and brown in the lower right corner or stop at scarlet/gray?

Opted to go elsewhere, but I grew up a few miles from campus.

Top is grey. Rails and stiles are scarlet. door frames will be grey with scarlet panels. There will be four doors, the middle two will have the Block O decals.

I have a 48" Ikea wall cabinet that I painted grey and the doors are scarlet.

cabinet with threaded pipe to hold the kessils. Scarlet and grey. Doors are scarlet

Attachments

• Upper Cabinet.jpg
    Upper Cabinet.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 395
Sand very much is a preference thing, is for a particular creature? Is it for looks? do you have a lot of flow in the tank.

Some like the "sugar fine", some like super coarse, it very much is almost a "help me pick a color for my living room" request

i have a goby and will add one more.

My flow currently is one MP-40 throttled back to around 40 percent yellow setting (i think that's reef crest) and one hydor. I'm likely adding a second hydor to the opposite side of the MP-40 until I can afford another MP-40 (or gyre...bruce and ashburn have switched and I'm considering it...advice there?)

I'd prefer a medium granular size so it doesn't blow about

I like the look of the black and white speckles...for no good reason

I have to pick up some house white 1x5's from Beronio...I have 1x5 for top and bottom rails, but my stupid 2x4 supports didn't turn out perfectly spaced, so I'm going with 1x5 rails and stiles so my door openings are perfect. I installed a neat LED light strip around the entire interior of the sump with a door switch so the light turns on when opened.

So lighting question...add third Kessil 360 or sell my two 360's and buy an AP 700?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ap700-led-lighting-panel-kessil.html

The shimmer is pretty good on the AP700's. That said, I don't think I would sell to Kessil's for the purpose of buying a different one. I'd go with another of what you have if you're happy with them.

I had a 48”x30” and used 120 lbs of sand. It had about 1-1/2” to 2” of depth.
I'm in the same 2ish inches of sand camp. I happen to like sugar sand, but recognize that it's a borderline religious question.

This is what I did:
CaribSea Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand - Fine Oolite Substrate 40 lbs
CaribSea Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand - Original Grade Substrate 40 lbs

I've had a total of 80 lbs of sand in the tank which is just right (for me); I think anywhere in the 80-120 range is just perfect.

Back