Kessil

Jeff's Upgrade to DSA 105

With my 120 lbs. I had a small area that I kept built up with about 5-6” where I was planning on doing some garden eels but it never panned out. With that area I was probably fine with 100 lbs but wasn’t going to do anything with the other 20lbs (they came in 40 lbs bags) so I just dumped the rest in. If I didn’t have that deeper area I probably would have been fine with 80 lbs.

Out of curiosity how did you "build up" an area? As simple as a rock wall dam?

I thought about doing something like that in the past, but always assumed the sand would eventually get blown out of the "dammed" area and then it'd just have a rock wall with a bit of sand on both sides.

Out of curiosity how did you "build up" an area? As simple as a rock wall dam?

I thought about doing something like that in the past, but always assumed the sand would eventually get blown out of the "dammed" area and then it'd just have a rock wall with a bit of sand on both sides.
it was towards the back of my tank. I used the back and right glass and the interior overflow box for the three sides. Then I had 3” pvc pipe that was my eel cave that ran the whole length in front of the area. @jestersix did a good job of covering the pipe with rock to obscure what it actually was and in the end it ended up being about 5”-6” tall. He filled the area along the bottom and side so that it would contain the sand. I don’t remember ever having to refill the area.

IMG_6327.jpg

New tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah the 8 foot stand for a 4 foot tank emerges! :D

Nice job, I really like the under cabinet lighting. I presume you do have a light for the chaeto in the sump though?

Disagree, that's plenty of light for what you have. One light over one rock structure, another over the other. The little frag rack on the side might have issues, but I'd get a PAR meter to see what the numbers are before worrying.

I think the (2) 360’s are good; maybe a 3rd if you get into heavier SPS stuff, but you can do a decent amount with just those two.

What percentage are your lights at now? I’d guess less than 40%, so you’ve got another bunch of intensity to play with still.

The build is coming along great, Jeff, keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back