Neptune Aquatics

Julius' CDA 150 Build

Using 50% dilution, effluent still tests to 20 DHK

I stopped the effluent feed, and now pumping the effluent out into a seperate container (for manual dosing later on).

Once reactor reaches 6.80 PH, I will start testing effluent before deciding when to bring it online again.

I must have increased the DT water by ~0.5 DHK within 5 hours window. Any action I should take there?

Using 50% dilution, effluent still tests to 20 DHK

I stopped the effluent feed, and now pumping the effluent out into a seperate container (for manual dosing later on).

Once reactor reaches 6.80 PH, I will start testing effluent before deciding when to bring it online again.

I must have increased the DT water by ~0.5 DHK within 5 hours window. Any action I should take there?

Try 1:3 dilution & multiply by 4. You'll lose some accuracy, but it'll give you a ballpark.

I need to increase mag. I have magnesium chloride hexahydrate powder. But just noticed Epsom salts are needed as well per Randy's two parts recipe.

In the last year or so, I have added about 2~3 gallons of solution made by just magnesium chloride hexahydrate powder without epson salt. Should I be concerned?

Is epson salt sold at walmart (link below) good for this purpose?

I got this african wrasse into my tank a few days ago. He has been hiding in sand since. Just now, I was really glad to see it coming out, swimming along with the female clown fish, until I realized his tale fin is inside the mouth of the clown fish! The bastard clown fish tried to wiggle the wrasse tale off, I guess.

Moments later, the wrasse got loose and ran off into the sand bed again.

Does the wrasse have a bleak outlook living in this tank? I am willing to try to evict this clownfish to a 20G QT, if it is deemed necessary.

No, I did not even think about using an acclimation box.

Now the new fish is in the DT, I guess I could install an acclimation box and then catch the female clown fish at night and put in there?

Does acclimation box work with euro braced tank top with DIY screen cover?

No, I did not even think about using an acclimation box.

Now the new fish is in the DT, I guess I could install an acclimation box and then catch the female clown fish at night and put in there?

Does acclimation box work with euro braced tank top with DIY screen cover?

You’d have to use suction cup or magnetic boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a bucket of Fritz Reef Pro Mix salt, probably 2~3 years old. Made a batch of fresh salt water, sitting in garage for ~10 days, with a circulation pump running. Water temp has been around 78 degrees.

I just measured the alkalinity and really surprised to see 4.5 DHK only, confirmed with a 2nd testing. Does old salt lose alk over time? I'd think last 10 days won't reduce the alk to such low level.

Should I toss out the remaining salt (about 3/4 of a bucket)?

Thanks!

My personal experience with Fritz,
It’s not the age of the salt.
It’s their salt in general. Back when Fritz first hit the market, I jumped on it like a bug in your hamburger during Labor day weekend. But, batch after batch of the salt mixes would not hold their values. You mix it one day, test it,
get ready to use it.. test once more,
& what the heck... is my meter off?
Why has the ALK level drifted like my neighbors son drifting his car in an intersection full of idiots.
Do a search on Fritz salts ALK. levels dropping. You will find many.
The salt is fine, you just have to doctor it up to the levels you want just before use. ( & i mean just before) because in a day it will probably be another level.

Got a new Varios 8 as return pump for my 150G. The embedded float switch will shut down varios 8 pump if return chamber of sump's water level gets too low. But it does not shut down skimmer.

Both pump and skimmer are wired to Apex controller (the old version). Is there a way to program Apex controller to shut down skimmer together with this return pump?

Got a new Varios 8 as return pump for my 150G. The embedded float switch will shut down varios 8 pump if return chamber of sump's water level gets too low. But it does not shut down skimmer.

Both pump and skimmer are wired to Apex controller (the old version). Is there a way to program Apex controller to shut down skimmer together with this return pump?

If you were able to use an EB832 (doesn't work with classic), you could add a code to check the power output of that outlet and if drops below a certain wattage, you can turn off the skimmer outlet.

If you don't have an eb832, you probably have to add a float switch via an io breakout box and turn off the skimmer and pump by outlet.

Last edited:
When setting up float switches with Apex breakout box, is there a step required to activate the float switches?

I just connected two float switches to the breakout box, which is connected to the I/O port of PM2 before reaching the Apex brain. I have verified that the status of the two float switches remain as "OPEN" regardless the position of the floats.

Interestingly, a day after I confirmed the above, my Fusion started to show "2 modules are missing". Everything other than the float switches/breakout box appear to be working.

When setting up float switches with Apex breakout box, is there a step required to activate the float switches?

I just connected two float switches to the breakout box, which is connected to the I/O port of PM2 before reaching the Apex brain. I have verified that the status of the two float switches remain as "OPEN" regardless the position of the floats.

Interestingly, a day after I confirmed the above, my Fusion started to show "2 modules are missing". Everything other than the float switches/breakout box appear to be working.

funny.. my fusion also says i have 2 modules missing as well the other day, but everything is in working order.

Does the trend in PH level over days tell something about alk level in the tank?

Everytime I turn up a bit the CO2 feed to my cal reactor, I can see the PH level in the tank increases in response, and gradually decrease daily and tend to settle at a level similar to before. Refer to photo attached.

Alk level measured see to show slight increase, but I have not got enough measurements at same hour of the day, and also there is factor of consumption.

Why does the PH level trends downward? Should it be stable at a level that is higher than before when the CO2 feed was less? Or it is lower due to elevated consumption of alk?

Attachments

• Sump PH Level.jpg
    Sump PH Level.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 128
Back