Jestersix

Just a reef tank on the baggage claim conveyor. Nothing to see here.

JVU

President
BOD
Tiny airport in Miyako, an island in the Okinawa chain, with a full reef tank (yes, live coral) sitting in the middle of the baggage claim conveyor as if it were a potted plant or something-

5a9f72fb8a48530626a73ac5ef53e10e.jpg

For once a tank that looks to be size appropriate for its inhabitants. Very nice looking. What is the red coral a bit right of center? Looks a bit like a closed up sun coral or blasto, but I can't really tell at that scale.

I always wondered what happened to all the fish and corals being illegally transported in baggage.
Really, that is an interesting sight!

I always wondered what happened to all the fish and corals being illegally transported in baggage.
Really, that is an interesting sight!
Yeah it's "great" for places that can take it, for instance illegal stuff here often goes to Steinhart I believe, but what if it's in the middle of no where? That stuff goes into an evidence room and dies probably.

Seeing as we seem to be running with it, I assumed the "what was illegally transported" remark was a joke. It seems unlikely unless I'm missing something that this is how that stuff came in.

I know the aquarium in Dallas gets pretty grumpy about people trying to call them to take their oscars that outgrow their tanks, stray stuff, etc. Not sure if they have any connection to customs there though. It really is a crummy situation when something gets caught smuggled in as Customs isn't exactly a group of reefkeeping experts, nor could they be from a practical perspective even if they were so inclined.

Back