got ethical husbandry?

Kessil World Premier at the 6/1 Frag Swap. Don't miss your chance!

I'm mostly neutral as, I wouldn't disagree that more money for the club is always a good thing which could pave the way for more future events.

My other prospective is, adding remote participation can cause issues for the people conducting the raffle. More stuff for them to keep up with. There would need to be a clear plan in place of how to handle those wanting to join the raffle but aren't present which wouldn’t add stress, diffculties, or become a unintended time sink. Such a plan would also need to be straight foward, easy to carry out, and require someone capable/willing to make it happen.

However if any of the above potential issues couldn't be properly addressed my stance would shift to (you must be present to win.)
Good summary of the issues.

We certainly want to encourage more participation. Of course to raise funds for the club, but also so that more members have a chance to be involved.

But it’s potentially a headache to deal with when people aren’t present, and with real risk of us messing up on something that matters to people.

Stay tuned

Asking for remote participation is understandable, but I do not think anyone needs to feel obligated to say yes.

Organizing these events takes a lot of time from volunteers, even without addressing exceptions, so making it easy for everyone should be all of our goal.

If remote is possible I am in! If not oh well. Bummed, my wife set up a wine tasting in Sonoma that day for a group of friends. I don’t even drink but I guess I’m the sober driver for the group. I would rather be at the swap. Hahaha.

I'm mostly neutral as, I wouldn't disagree that more money for the club is always a good thing which could pave the way for more future events.

My other prospective is, adding remote participation can cause issues for the people conducting the raffle. More stuff for them to keep up with. There would need to be a clear plan in place of how to handle those wanting to join the raffle but aren't present which wouldn’t add stress, diffculties, or become a unintended time sink. Such a plan would also need to be straight foward, easy to carry out, and require someone capable/willing to make it happen.

However if any of the above potential issues couldn't be properly addressed my stance would shift to (you must be present to win.)

Hear ya - It was just an off the cuff question. If it works, great. If not, nbd. Know the board and organizers have plenty to think about as-is :)

It's about raising money but it's ALSO about incentivizing attendance to the event itself. The more people attend, the more corals there are to choose from, the more coral people take home, the value of our membership increases, we get more members, and more people are more likely to attend a future event. The flywheel turns. This also creates revenue for the club.

Also..is there anything more anti-climatic than announcing a raffle winner to a room full of swappers...and the winner isn't even in attendance? Lame!!

Last edited:
I'll be posting this in the main frag swap event as well:

We've discussed this a bit over the past week, and we're going with a compromise:
  • Members do not have to attend/be present to participate in/win raffle prizes; however:
  • The board will not coordinate ticket purchases/submissions, and this must be done/coordinated between members
What that last point means is that people who wish to attend remotely have to speak with someone who will be going, work out payment, and the person who's going to go must write their information (name + phone number) on each ticket. As much as we hate making members feel like they're missing out because of prior commitments, digital ticket pre-sales is a logistical nightmare (and, as Alexander pointed out, we've all got our hands full setting up and running the swap itself).

It's about raising money but it's ALSO about incentivizing attendance to the event itself. The more people attend, the more corals there are to choose from, the more coral people take home, the value of our membership increases, we get more members, and more people are more likely to attend a future event. The flywheel turns. This also creates revenue for the club.

Also..is there anything more anti-climatic than announcing a raffle winner to a room full of swappers...and the winner isn't even in attendance? Lame!!
If only more members meant more corals :)
The big bumps in frags available comes from members bringing more than the minimum required number of frags. Pretty sure there's a record of 60+ from a single member.

If only more members meant more corals :)
The big bumps in frags available comes from members bringing more than the minimum required number of frags. Pretty sure there's a record of 60+ from a single member.
My first frag swap, @Coral reefer brought more than half a dozen buckets filled with ~4-oz containers with frags. Pretty sure he had more than several hundred.

If remote is possible I am in! If not oh well. Bummed, my wife set up a wine tasting in Sonoma that day for a group of friends. I don’t even drink but I guess I’m the sober driver for the group. I would rather be at the swap. Hahaha.
Same here, my son’s season final soccer game and celebration then After :/

I def went over 100 a few times. Dont think i made it to 200 ever but could have. Probably 150. Didnt want to bring too many to the point people wouldn’t want them all.
I was shown the way by @iani showing up with a full size cooler full when I started.

Last edited:
Back